Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Ridge Mountains Roll Call

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Here's my place with the recent snow, and yes, those are my Christmas wreaths still up
    Great pic, that's what I'm talking about, one of my favorite builds so far...
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

In WNC haywood county. No debt and loving it!

Blane, your story is super inspirational to me. Thanks for blogging it!... Now if I could just make myself wait to build... 15 years or so for my boys to get bigger and I might be lucky to have a good right hand man or two as you did!

Blog Entries
    It'sa great way for a kid to grow up. Came in useful for our homeschooled Son.

Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

My homeschooled kids learned many life skills while helping us build our first kit log house 18 years ago. This past year my grown up son and daughter helped us work on our LHBA house. Next year my son is preparing to build his own LHBA house.uploadfromtaptalk1453919978412.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Blane, your story is super inspirational to me. Thanks for blogging it!... Now if I could just make myself wait to build... 15 years or so for my boys to get bigger and I might be lucky to have a good right hand man or two as you did!
    Don't wait to long. I still remember well the time I spent with my dad, helping to build a new Church back in the very early 60s and a few other family building projects we worked together on.
    Last edited by edkemper; 01-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Hey everyone - I live in Virginia, near Charlottesville now but I'm looking for land in the Shenandoah too. I'm trying to start a diversified farm with veggies, fruit, pigs, chickens, bees, and whatever else strikes my fancy! Farms can't survive with debt, and so far all the farms I've found would require a mortgage. I figured a simple log cabin would help keep me from freezing my butt in the winter in a camper trailer. Even if I do end up buying a place with an existing house, once the cabin is up, the house can be rented out to pay off the rest of the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Hey everyone - I live in Virginia, near Charlottesville now but I'm looking for land in the Shenandoah too. I'm trying to start a diversified farm with veggies, fruit, pigs, chickens, bees, and whatever else strikes my fancy! Farms can't survive with debt, and so far all the farms I've found would require a mortgage. I figured a simple log cabin would help keep me from freezing my butt in the winter in a camper trailer. Even if I do end up buying a place with an existing house, once the cabin is up, the house can be rented out to pay off the rest of the mortgage.
    Don't get a mortgage.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Don't get a mortgage.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner
    I know that's the standard advice, and believe me, I want to avoid a mortgage if I possibly can. But I'm looking for a minimum of 5 acres of good productive land within reasonable driving distance of a small city/ big town, which in my area typically means about $8k per acre (if you weed out the people who overprice their land). Ideally I would like to have multiple families living on the land together to create community (we've been talking with some other people interested in this idea too). Rome was not built in a day, and having land with an existing house opens up more possibilities. My partner can afford the mortgage by herself as long as we find something within our budget. Then, once more housing gets built, other people can come on board to help. Honestly if it were just me, I'd be happy living in a tipi (well, until the cabin gets built).

We had a guy on here living in a tipi, I was just over in your neck of the woods today picking up my forklift in Orange, VA
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"