Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our first post with questions

Our first post with questions

My husband and I are totally new to the idea of building a log home. Need to know what are the main differences between purchasing a kit home or a log home ?we have been researching online and there is so much info out there that it's confusing. Our idea is to have a shell built and roof put on for us along with everything that must be done on the exterior. We will finish the interior ourselves. In 1978 we built a 2000 sq ft home totally ourselves ( no contractors ). It took us only 6 months while we were working full time nights,so we have the expertise and ambition but this is a cabin and so of course their are differences. We wonder if it's worth taking the class for us considering we know a great deal about what must be done inside to finish. What would be a reasonable charge for a contractor to build our shell and roof the cabin ( about 1500 sq ft )??? We are looking to build northwest of Atlanta area. Any input anyone has is much appreciated. Thank you, Lorrie

If you have built a home yourself you can do this yourself just as easily. But there are folks that can build the shell and leave the rest to you. This is a much different type of home than the kit homes that are out there but the main difference is these homes will be standing long after the kits rot to the ground.

Blog Entries
    You already know you can build your own home with your own hands. You may not fully appreciate a kit house. Take the class.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

the main difference between a kit home and a LHBA home is that LHBA built homes (built in a 'tightly pinned butt and pass' manner) don't settle. no need to worry that windows will break or stick. or that doors won't open properly.
    no need to lower the roof with a jack as the logs slowly shrink and the walls slowly get shorter
    another key thing is that built the LHBA way, you can do it yourself as you have time and $$ so that when you're through you'll own it free and clear.
    to us, that is key. we'll be retiring in our hand built cabin debt free
    there's also a lot of other great reason's to build this way.
    hopefully others will chime in soon!

LHBA Member
    They are apples and oranges. I gradually got more and more interested in a log home, but noticed that all the new ones I saw were kits, and something seemed missing. They seemed modernized somehow, sterilized somehow. In fact, the log "theme" of a kit home seemed more symbolic. And symbols are not real. I finally realized that was the problem I was seeing -- kits don't really seem genuine. Then I ran into this web site, and it clicked. The detailed photos showed what I'd been looking for all along.

After learning about this building technique, I was watching an episode of Home Time, and they were in the middle of construction of a kit log home. Although I already knew the differences, I was still surprised as they described adjustments here and another compensation there. The list just kept going on and on.

Some folks like the uniformity of a kit, straying not too far from the civilized homes they've lived in before. That's fine. It's definitely not for me, not for a genuine log home.

Now, if you want someone else to build that shell, Ronnie is the most likely guy to get the job done. He'll pipe up before long, maybe even before I click "Post" for my long-winded message.

:-)

And welcome to the site!

Peter

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Need to know what are the main differences between purchasing a kit home or a log home ? Our idea is to have a shell built and roof put on for us along with everything that must be done on the exterior.
    What would be a reasonable charge for a contractor to build our shell and roof the cabin ( about 1500 sq ft )? Lorrie
    A kit will be complicated, hard to finish (because logs keep moving unless something holds them together), hard to get an honest answer to almost anything...

A tightly pinned B&P home doesn't move. The green logs shrink but because they are held together with steel pins the log wall height doesn't change... PERIOD.. Look at my pictures in the links below. I have over 900 - 23 inch re-bar pins holding everything together.

We have a member that does build these shells... But I believe there is prep work that you must do...

I don't have a clue about the cost to build a shell, but it will be less than the cost of a kit because you will do lots of work... and he will get it done FAST... like less than two weeks...

Good luck Lorrie
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Good luck getting a kit home to get a thermo mass from the size logs they use. Read all the complaints on the kit homes. Rip offs every where you turn. Of course that can happen with any transaction esp. in counstruction.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    Good luck getting a kit home to get a thermo mass from the size logs they use. Read all the complaints on the kit homes. Rip offs every where you turn. Of course that can happen with any transaction esp. in counstruction.
    My impression of reading about kit homes is that the dealers seem more like a close kin of used car salesmen than homebuilders or even a reputable building supply company.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    My impression of reading about kit homes is that the dealers seem more like a close kin of used car salesmen than homebuilders or even a reputable building supply company.
    I was thinking the same thing recently when I came across a link showing that my county has adopted building codes that are specific to log home building... I clicked on it. There was a very very brief explanation of the code then a long list of every kit home builder in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing recently when I came across a link showing that my county has adopted building codes that are specific to log home building... I clicked on it. There was a very very brief explanation of the code then a long list of every kit home builder in the state.
    They have lobby power, so they get to create the rules.