Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghetto Barb Wire Unroller

Ghetto Barb Wire Unroller

Building the house has taken a bit of a back seat to our immediate dreams of having a homestead/farm/ranch.

Part of that has been refencing the 25 acre pasture for our sheep and guard donkey. This spring I'll be hunting for deals on cattle.

I Had 4,000 feet of barbed wire which needed to be completely redone due to what I'd guess is about 30-40 years of neglect. Each spool of wire runs 1360 feet, and weighs about 70 pounds of "touch me and I'll rip you and your clothes to shreds!"

After 5 minutes of humping that roll down the line I came to the conclusion that there was a better way to do this . . . some brief querying showed numerous $$$$ contraptions for ATVs, trucks and tractors . . .I went out the shop and made my own ghetto version . . . for free. If I had more $ and had miles to do I'd invest in a decent unroller but this worked fine for the immediate future.

IMG_0030.jpg

Don't laugh it works! Went through 2 1/2 spools that way! And it was considerably easier than hauling it by hand . . The 2N gets the job done! What a wonderful machine, built in the 40's, and 70 some years old it starts up right away in the MN cold and will pull a 50 yard row of old 4 strand barbed wire, posts and all, right out of the cold ground!

Hey whatever works and free is always good!

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I woulf expect nothing less... keep it up... and get fruit trees and berry bushes in...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Blog Entries
    I thought that was the only way to do it.

Fine looking Ford!
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    I agree, nice looking ford. Don't do what I did... So apparently the front axle WILL pivot enough to bump the distributor hard enough to knock it out of time I was tootin right along and the right front tire went up on a small mound, motor sputtered, died and won't even try to hit when you turn it over. The axle made pretty good contact with and is still touching the cap and one plug wire. I guess best case scenario, it only boogered up the plug wire but I think it would at least try to fire if that was the case.
    Last edited by allen84; 12-14-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I agree, nice looking ford. Don't do what I did... So apparently the front axle WILL pivot enough to bump the distributor hard enough to knock it out of time I was tootin right along and the right front tire went up on a small mound, motor sputtered, died and won't even try to hit when you turn it over. The axle made pretty good contact with and is still touching the cap and one plug wire. I guess best case scenario, it only boogered up the plug wire but I think it would at least try to fire if that was the case.
    Having done a head/valve job on a 9N I feel your pain, timing these things is simple but painful. Drain gas, take hood off, drain radiator, take radiator out, figure out where #1 is at top, make sure you don't 180 out the distributor tang. My Dad used to time them still on the tractor with one guy manually turning the crank via the belt. I take 'em off and put it under a bright light on a workbench Easy to turn that lobe over with nothing hooked up to the back of it.

LHBA Member
    I think mine is an 8n. I don't have any buildings on the property yet and I'm too lazy to take apart any more than needed anyways haha... First, I think I'll drag it a few feet back to flat land, check the plug wire in question, turn distributor back a little at a time and give it a go. It started easy and ran great before the mishap. I haven't really looked hard at it. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll be able to tell where it was set visually.
    Last edited by allen84; 12-14-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is awful easy to bump that front mounted distributor enough to jar the cap . Take the rascal out and time it on the bench and slap it back in there. It'll run.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I think mine is an 8n. I don't have any buildings on the property yet and I'm too lazy to take apart any more than needed anyways haha... First, I think I'll drag it a few feet back to flat land, check the plug wire in question, turn distributor back a little at a time and give it a go. It started easy and ran great before the mishap. I haven't really looked hard at it. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll be able to tell where it was set visually.
    The 9n and 2n were front mounted, the 8ns IIRC were side mounted . . . a smart move

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMan View Post
    The 9n and 2n were front mounted, the 8ns IIRC were side mounted . . . a smart move
    Don't I wish that was carved in stone! They didn't go to the side mount distributor til a couple years after the War. My 8N Has the front mount. We think it is a 1947 model.

It is a pain to work on but after the 5th time it gets doable. I can't imagine how Grandad did it without modern tools. Air ratchet makes it sooooo much easier.