Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghetto Barb Wire Unroller

LHBA Member
    Ya, mine is front mount also... I took a quick look at it when I was out there today. Pretty sure I can tell right where I need to turn it back to. Fingers crossed cause Ford is kicking my butt today. The explorer fouled another coil pack on my way home. Thankfully, it runs decent on 7 cylinders. This is the 3rd or 4th time it's fouled the same coil (#8 cylinder). It has a slight head gasket leak but only seeps a little coolant out at the #8 plug, enough to ruin a coil pack about every 6 months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Y Fingers crossed cause Ford is kicking my butt today. The explorer fouled another coil pack on my way home. Thankfully, it runs decent on 7 cylinders. This is the 3rd or 4th time it's fouled the same coil (#8 cylinder). It has a slight head gasket leak but only seeps a little coolant out at the #8 plug, enough to ruin a coil pack about every 6 months.
    I can hear my Dad's words coming up outa the grave. He is screaming at the top of his lungs "Tell him he only has to fix it once and it'll stay fixed!".
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    I know, I know... I already told my wife that I refuse to do another driveway head gasket job. It's too big of an undertaking with no roof overhead and no concrete below. The last one I did, I spent over an hour looking for a bolt I dropped in the grass. My friend came over and found it in 5 seconds (If anyone could find a needle in a haystack, Squirrel, YES, Squirrel is the man!)

Bout time to trade it in anyways. Lots of other quirky things it's starting to do every once in a while and I don't care to learn what they are... One of the things sounds almost like a cat meow under the dash board. Rarely happens but becoming more frequent. Must not be a cat or it'd be starved by now, been in there a while.
    Last edited by allen84; 12-15-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I know, I know... I already told my wife that I refuse to do another driveway head gasket job. It's too big of an undertaking with no roof overhead and no concrete below. The last one I did, I spent over an hour looking for a bolt I dropped in the grass. My friend came over and found it in 5 seconds (If anyone could find a needle in a haystack, Squirrel, YES, Squirrel is the man!)

Bout time to trade it in anyways. Lots of other quirky things it's starting to do every once in a while and I don't care to learn what they are... One of the things sounds almost like a cat meow under the dash board. Rarely happens but becoming more frequent. Must not be a cat or it'd be starved by now, been in there a while.
    Oh come on! Gravel garage head gasket jobs are the BEST!

Lots of plywood and/or those horse stall mats help with that kinda stuff . . .oh and zip lock bags and permanent markers . . . .label EVERYTHING, lots of photos and a video camera

LHBA Member
    labels, pictures, video? Really? Who needs all that with a photographic memory? Ha, I'll never forget the first "FULL"-refurb we did on a crane at the shop where I used to work. We were supposed to rebuild/replace EVERYTHING. So I started by removing every hydraulic hose on the machine (those did get color coded, all 88 of them I believe). The boss looked really concerned when he saw my big pile of parts and hoses haha

Blog Entries
    Once had a Corvair van that spent two days under floodwater near Crescent City, CA. Rented a house with a carport and tore down every nut, bolt, line, and screw. I tried to keep parts from different areas together in different piles. Couldn't break into the speedometer so it always showed mudmarks that indicated the angle of lean as the water retreated. Surprisingly, that speedo remained accurate til I sold the thing 4 years later.

Only real problem I had was thinking I could save the front upholstery by letting it slowly dry on the seat frame. Apparently some long dead squirrel had stored some long dead dog chow in the seat back and I didn't know about it til the sun warmed up all them maggots. That happened the day after I had bolted the seat back into the van. There was flybabies everywhere.

Anyway that was before modern photography and video. Plastic bags were around but it was a simple rig that was easy to figure out. Lucky for me, it was built before Detroit tried that metric experiment. I think those maggots were the only metric parts on that old Corvair and I was able to finally get rid of them altogether.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

How many of those nuts and bolts did you take off of the front end before you figured out the motor wasn't there? ;-)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    How many of those nuts and bolts did you take off of the front end before you figured out the motor wasn't there? ;-)
    More truth to that than you know. There was 3"-5" of silt throughout the van. Lifted the engine hatch and saw the outline of the fan belt and a hint of the outline of the air cleaners. Otherwise was filled flat with solid mud.

Of course I couldn't lift the engine hatch til I had shoveled down to it.