Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeling materials?

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I thought my idea about using sticks was right up your alley. Bread sticks would be cheap n easy too.

My life changed after class. Nothing monumental or Earth shattering but it was a welcome change nonetheless. Perhaps it was youth that made that change possible. Maybe if I want to class now I'd take less away from it... Who knows. Sure glad I went. It was a long time ago. I owe Skip a lot.
    No doubt.
    I'm not trying to denigrate what the class has to offer, and I'm not suggesting that I won't walk away from it with a new perspective and lots of new ideas.

On the other hand it's more than a touch irritating to ask. "Anybody know where I can get a good deal on some 1/2/x1/2 inch sticks" and be told "don't bother, noting you can think of now will matter. Only after class can you have worthwhile ideas".

Seriously. If I wasn't interested in learning what the class has to offer I'd use the time to visit my wife. Vegas has no appeal to me, I've had enough of deserts.

Once more, sorry if this has come across as negative..I really do appreciate folks offering knowledge to address questions I may have. I'm just not as appreciative of receiving answers to questions which I haven't asked.

Blog Entries
    Lowkey,

You fit in here more than you realize. You don't stand out as anything less than or different from the rest of us. You'll find that out once you get to the other side. This family is like no other.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

^- Ed said it best. You'll fit right in much more than you think with equally minded folks and the same goals.

The class isn't just about the technique. It's how to structure your life around the home. No mortgage, complying to building codes inexpensively, how to best source materials from free and up to remove the burden of the bank, how to plan for it to last to pass it down to grand kids (they really go the extremes here, starting from the best/ideal techniques on how to do something, and going down from there), etc. There's a lot we can't share here on the public side. But basically, these big decisions do affect your life's goals; hence, the reasons you keep hearing "your life will change." True, your situation does seem more disconnected from most with the American Dream (and bank notes that go with it). That aligns you more with us actually already.

I know you said you don't have building codes in your area. Hats off to you for finding that patch of US soil! But most of us do have to make some B.I. happy one way or another and parts of the class focus on that. It's valuable knowledge to have if one ever decided to set foot in such oversight.

In class they go over key reasons why building a scale model is recommended. One is to practice the techniques learned in class. So... If you were to build one now, you may be building another with the techniques from class.
    Last edited by eduncan911; 10-11-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

LHBA Member
    Come on now, I was the first to offer a response to your question I don't think anyone is suggesting to forget your plans at all... But be prepared to learn and consider some different perspectives. After all, if we knew it all we wouldn't need the class to begin with.

For me, there was things taught in the class that came into play as far as floor plan layout that changed some of the things I had in mind. And I'm thinking the planning stages are different for us all. Some folks, I'm sure, are more visual and hands on than others. Most are probably far more organized than me. Everyone has a different outcome they expect to achieve. I personally don't have the patience or attention span to make a model, so my hat's off to those who do!

If Vegas doesn't appeal to you now and you've never been there, then it'll probably be even less appealing by the time you leave. Neat place to go one time. I thought it was a rather gross city. It certainly exceeded my expectations. I wish I could have spent some time seeing the rest of state.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a want to see it person also, and I sure get the impatience of being away and having time and can't get your hands dirty doing what you really want to be doing. I went so far as to gather a bunch of sticks 3-4' long and 3" butts. Got them peeled and ready with the grand kids. Then suddenly we were into breaking ground, digging basement, pouring footers, stacking ICF, pouring basement, building floor, stacking logs, milling lumber, lifting RPSLs, lifting the 57' RP. milling lumber, planing lumber, mounting log rafters, decking over the rafters, waterproofing for winter then back at building up roof and insulating it, decking the buildup, waterproofing it, then ahhhhh, metal on the roof. I guess I need to go get rid of that bunch of sticks. Doing a model is really great way to help avoid mistakes probably would have done a few thing different if I had done that model. I wish I could ship you my sticks but my sister just shipped her son in India an 8lb box for just over $300. Not sure that kind of cost would be worth it.
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 10-11-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eduncan911 View Post
    You know, I may just do that now.

...that a metal lathe would be awesome to use on.

EDIT: never mind. Just Googled prices for these things. Whoa.
    Craigslist and patience.

I will get one, but don't have anywhere to put it at the moment. The storage trailer is harder on some of my tools than I care for, and you don't want rust on a lathe.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Craigslist and patience.

I will get one, but don't have anywhere to put it at the moment. The storage trailer is harder on some of my tools than I care for, and you don't want rust on a lathe.
    That's a great idea.

Just thought of idea myself... Ask to "rent one" for an afternoon. Found several local to me so I'm going to email them asking if I can drop by with some beer for an afternoon.

Found one lathe that goes up to 5 feet! Bed frame!!!

-E

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Bed frame? How short are you?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Bed frame? How short are you?
    Was thinking of the head/footer boards. :P

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    first time ever in any woods
    If Vegas doesn't appeal to you now and you've never been there, then it'll probably be even less appealing by the time you leave. Neat place to go one time. I thought it was a rather gross city. It certainly exceeded my expectations. I wish I could have spent some time seeing the rest of state.
    I passed through Vegas a few dozen times back in the late 90's and early 00's, didn't stop as it had no interest to me. I'm not going to criticize folks who find it to be their cup of tea, but I know the odds are in favor of the house and the purpose of all the lights and glitter is to get me to part with my money.
    I'm not sticking my nose in the air at those who want to enjoy all that the place has to offer, I'm just not into glitz and empty promises.

I may get a few chips and sit at a table in order to enjoy free food and drinks, if that's still the way the run the show. I'm just not going to put more into chips than I'd pay for a blue plate special.