Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeling materials?

Modeling materials?

Folks, any good (cheap) sources for modeling materials?

I've decided to kill some time while waiting on the Feb 2016 Class by building models of some of my design possibilities. I know I may wind up scrapping a good bit of it after what I learn in class, but up until that time I'd like to be able to tinker with my ideas.
    Okay,. to be honest, it's not that I'd like to tinker with my ideas, it's that I can't help but tinker with my ideas.
    I don;t exactly have a lot else I can do where I am with my limited spare time.

Right now I'm looking for some 1/2 x 1/2 inch square sticks......anyone have a good source?
    I don't care about knots, ect.

..and yes, I don't care if they've been ripped out of scrap wood as long as they're actually 1/2 x1/2 and reasonably smooth.

Blog Entries
    Why not use sticks? Around here Vine Maple and Hazelnut twigs seem to grow just right.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LOL

Seriously though, no matter the designs you have in mind, even square and looking at a lot of the pics here - it will all, 100% completely and utterly change once you take the class and realize this and that.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

You can get wooden dowels pretty cheap at hobby lobby.

Hey Lego! Get on this potentially profitable niche market.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by Tracyblott View Post
    You can get wooden dowels pretty cheap at hobby lobby.
    I've priced Hobby Lobby and Michael's and they come out well over $100 for the set (building 1/2" = 1 foot scale).

FYI, Michael's can order in bulk with a discount if you talk with the manager. Where brings it down to about the same cost as Hobby Lobby (a tad cheaper, if worth the effort).

I've been pricing in eBay as well and isn't as cheap as you'd think.

Part of me wants to just invest into a lathe (sp ck) to make my own dowels. At least I can get some of my money back when selling it.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by eduncan911 View Post
    Part of me wants to just invest into a lathe (sp ck) to make my own dowels. At least I can get some of my money back when selling it.
    Spelling correct! And you could even turn your dowels with 1:120 taper. :-)

If you are serious though, get a metal lathe. It would work so much better for turning dowels.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Jeez price must have gone for some reason I used to buy the to make hat racks and I paid like 2 bucks a stick.