Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using poor quality logs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Determined2Quit View Post
    Girdling....new term to me and more food for thought.

Why do you think that method is a better option? Better drying? Easier peeling? Is there more of a risk for bug infestation?
    Girdling will stop any sap from rising by the time you're ready to cut in the spring. Sap begins way earlier than the first signs of leaves beginning to bud out. (Just look at when maple sap is started to be collected) The tree should be lighter come harvesting time, and by leaving stand, keeps it away from the soil while it begins to cure, vs dragging a freshly cut log through the dirt and to the racks. Probably won't help with peeling in that relatively short period of time. Let them stand through two Winters, and it would probably be easier.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I guess I could explained why we are taught to winter cut and peel. Growth rings you have a dark colored ring and a light colored ring, the light colored ring is your spring and summer ring it is soft and transports water from the bottom of the tree to the top, the dark colored ring is the fall and winter ring and is much harder and acts as a protective barrier thus we want the protective layer on the outside of our logs, then there is the issue of sap content, winter cut trees have less sap which in turn reduces both shrinking and checking, you can do it any way you want to but it's good to know the pros and cons of the choice you make.

Before peeling the bugs that come are helpful, as they seem to like eating just under the bark, (cambium) loosening it. It's briefly after you peel that the boring insects converge. I guess attracted by the smell? To avoid them, best to peel when its too cold out for them.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Blog Entries
    I don't disagree with Rod very often, but I wouldn't let Aspen stand more than the 1 winter. They'll rot standing being they're not peeled. Any tree left unpeeled, you take a big chance of some wood boring insect from eating your logs.

LHBA Member
    Clear as mud now....thanks LOL

I think we are going to fell a few trees this winter and girdle a few too, then a few in the spring and ....they will be "trial" runs, and most likely used as our lifting poles or firewood. Then we can see what works best long before we start building.

Sorry for stealing your thread flatline, hope you are still getting some good info.

Clear as mud now....thanks LOL

I think we are going to fell a few trees this winter and girdle a few too, then a few in the spring and ....they will be "trial" runs, and most likely used as our lifting poles or firewood. Then we can see what works best long before we start building.

Sorry for stealing your thread flatline, hope you are still getting some good info.
    Now that is an awesome idea i wish i had thought of it.

You guys carry on, with any luck I will have a lot of questions answered before I have to ask them :-)

I agree with Tom. You can't let aspen go that long. I was just saying for bark to loosen up, it would take about that long.
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 10-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Blog Entries
    With all the activity this forum gets? It wouldn't take long at times to fill up your inbox.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!