Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using poor quality logs

LHBA Member
    Clear as mud now....thanks LOL

I think we are going to fell a few trees this winter and girdle a few too, then a few in the spring and ....they will be "trial" runs, and most likely used as our lifting poles or firewood. Then we can see what works best long before we start building.

Sorry for stealing your thread flatline, hope you are still getting some good info.

I agree with Tom. You can't let aspen go that long. I was just saying for bark to loosen up, it would take about that long.
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 10-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by 2Determined2Quit View Post
    Clear as mud now....thanks LOL

I think we are going to fell a few trees this winter and girdle a few too, then a few in the spring and ....they will be "trial" runs, and most likely used as our lifting poles or firewood. Then we can see what works best long before we start building.

Sorry for stealing your thread flatline, hope you are still getting some good info.
    Now that is an awesome idea i wish i had thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracyblott View Post
    Fell in winter, peel as soon as you feel them, use latex paint on ends as soon as you fell them, turn them 1/4 turn every week, keep them off ground.
    And can you start building with this logs in summer ?

You can fell them, peel them, and stack them all in the same day, no problem.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by hech714 View Post
    And can you start building with this logs in summer ?
    Log shrinkage is our friend, its the element that makes it so that settling never happens and as rod said you can go up with your walls the very same day you fell your trees and is exact thing i plan to do with mine.

I should have noted that log shrinkage is only a friend in our style of building, as far as kit cabins and such shrinkage is the enemy.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I have said this before. All things being possible and equal, I would do all prelims including basement or footers and foundation. Have electric and sewerage in place or planned to be installed after heavy equipment use is done.
    I would install first floor on the foundation with the water resistant flooring.
    Then I would fell the 8 largest trees besides the RP. I would do a sizing list of these for placement. peel and treat these and stack them. If one or more doesn't seem to fit in these two levels leave them on the rack and fell 8 more. Doing 2 levels at a time gives you some choice to where to put them. I would cont. with this plan until all walls and support logs were stacked. Then just go for it with the RP, rafters and roof. This would take some concentrated time and help or sit back and let Ronnie do it this week and start on your chinking next week. ha.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Determined2Quit View Post

You guys carry on, with any luck I will have a lot of questions answered before I have to ask them :-)

Is it possible to set up an automatic email notification for new replies?