Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Using poor quality logs

Don't worry about that. It was presumed that by driving a flat cut rebar into an undrilled log, it would cause a dense plug of wood to form in front of the rebar. It has been dispelled since, as someone split apart a log that had rebar driven in that way, and it was not the case. However, it is good to not drill the bottom log, because it immensely increases holding strength.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

That makes sense, but I'm still wondering if "pre--drilling "might not "ease the way" a bit.
    My thinking being (given that we were using 1/2 inch rebar) Drilling the top log with a 3/8 inch hole and the bottom log at 1/4 inch hole.
    Would that making driving the rebar easier, and would it reduce the gripping strength on the dies/season log on the bar significantly?

Mostly academic to me, as I have no problem with the idea of using powered assistance to drive the rebar into the log for me. Others, however, might find it a helpful bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Don't worry about that. It was presumed that by driving a flat cut rebar into an undrilled log, it would cause a dense plug of wood to form in front of the rebar. It has been dispelled since, as someone split apart a log that had rebar driven in that way, and it was not the case. However, it is good to not drill the bottom log, because it immensely increases holding strength.
    Useful info, I intend to remember that.

LHBA Member
    please enlighten the newbie...

Is a demo hammer, hand-held jackhammer, and breaker hammer all the same tool, but with different names?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Determined2Quit View Post
    please enlighten the newbie...

Is a demo hammer, hand-held jackhammer, and breaker hammer all the same tool, but with different names?
    Take the class.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    Don't get in an uproar... I was just funnin"!

Same tool. It was a lot of fun doing it in the old days with just a hammer. Kinda like drilling with a brace and bit was a lot of fun before Makita was invented.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Don't get in an uproar... I was just funnin"!

Same tool. It was a lot of fun doing it in the old days with just a hammer. Kinda like drilling with a brace and bit was a lot of fun before Makita was invented.
    I AM in an uproar!! I get to buy another tool!!
    I didn't think there were many tools we DIDN'T have....so I get a tad bit excited to buy and try new ones
    The logging tools we obviously didn't have (we live on the bald prairies where trees are sacred), the hubby has done a great job building them! log dogs, tongs, peaveys, and spuds.
    It's gonna be a longggggggggg winter waiting for Feb so ya might as well just bare with me LHN and answer my silly questions and just think how knowledgeable I will be when I finally get to the other side!!

Yes lots of names most commonly referred to as a demolition hammer, but from reading up on the subject it's seems that a 15 amp SDS max is what it takes to have enough power to do the job.

Knowledgeable? With LHN as a mentor you might as well just put in a pan of muffins, haha LHN you had that one comin.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracyblott View Post
    Yes lots of names most commonly referred to as a demolition hammer, but from reading up on the subject it's seems that a 15 amp SDS max is what it takes to have enough power to do the job.
    Thanks!! You've just answered my next questions...you are all so good at this game with the newbies LOL