Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of Feb 13&14 2016!!

LHBA Member

Class of Feb 13&14 2016!!

Well after scouring the internet in search of a log home kit, I stumbled upon LHBA. After only reading a few pages and then a few posts on this forum, I was convinced this is the way to go. My husband quickly agreed. We have been "lurking" the forum for about 6 months now, and finally got the email for the next class...and signed up immediately!! February can't come soon enough!! We both know this is going to be a long, hard, and demanding task to build a log cabin. We aren't afraid of hard work and long hours, but the biggest difficulty we are having right now is all the negativity with family, friends, neighbors, coworkers etc. telling us how foolish we are, how much work it going to be, that we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into.....etc etc. It's to the point that I don't even tell anyone our plans anymore. At first it just fired me up more, and I used it as motivation to "prove them wrong", but some days it gets real old, real quick, and I just get irritated with the silly, uneducated, hurtful remarks. I guess what I'm looking for is some moral support, and everyone on the forum is on the same path and seem real genuine and helpful. I can't wait to get to the OTHER side!!

We have already purchased 160 acres of land, and hubby is already buying and building tools we will need. I'm trying to slow him down because we will learn soooooooo much more in class, but he's raring to get going LOL

Would love to chat with anyone else going to the upcoming class or get any newbie advice from the old pro's on here

Determined, after YEARS of lurking, I signed up yesterday. Very excited to get to the class and get started. I can finally say, can't wait to see you at class!

Haters gonna hate. Builders gonna build. Where is the land at?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Determined2Quit View Post
    Well after scouring the internet in search of a log home kit, I stumbled upon LHBA. After only reading a few pages and then a few posts on this forum, I was convinced this is the way to go. My husband quickly agreed. We have been "lurking" the forum for about 6 months now, and finally got the email for the next class...and signed up immediately!! February can't come soon enough!! We both know this is going to be a long, hard, and demanding task to build a log cabin. We aren't afraid of hard work and long hours, but the biggest difficulty we are having right now is all the negativity with family, friends, neighbors, coworkers etc. telling us how foolish we are, how much work it going to be, that we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into.....etc etc. It's to the point that I don't even tell anyone our plans anymore. At first it just fired me up more, and I used it as motivation to "prove them wrong", but some days it gets real old, real quick, and I just get irritated with the silly, uneducated, hurtful remarks. I guess what I'm looking for is some moral support, and everyone on the forum is on the same path and seem real genuine and helpful. I can't wait to get to the OTHER side!!

We have already purchased 160 acres of land, and hubby is already buying and building tools we will need. I'm trying to slow him down because we will learn soooooooo much more in class, but he's raring to get going LOL

Would love to chat with anyone else going to the upcoming class or get any newbie advice from the old pro's on here
    Yup... You folks are on the road to "off the deep end". You'll be outcasts, bumblefarders, screwballs, and lunarticks. They'll all think it was a bad batch of street drugs that did it and some of them will have nothing to do with you for fear that the Cops are watching you.

Don't worry, they'll get over it. Just tell them that if my Wife can lift that door off the bench and stand it up all by herself, you can toss together a log home.

Welcome to you two and John W...
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    I love that saying!! gonna use it!!

Land is in Saskatchewan, Canada...hunting and fishing paradise!!

LHBA Member
    Thanks for the pics LHN!! Hats off to you and your wife....would love to meet you "bumblefarders" some day LOL

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Determined, after YEARS of lurking, I signed up yesterday. Very excited to get to the class and get started. I can finally say, can't wait to see you at class!
    See you there John!! We will be the middle-aged prairie folks that have lost their marbles

heah Prairies rocks! Manitoba here, we will help each other for sure!
    Plan is done, land ok, log hunting mode now!
    Should start full basement foundation beginning of May 2016

My friend and I, Gary, are leaving our wives at home to come to the class. Look for a greybeard and a retired military looking guy, both kind of vertically challenged.

Right there with ya 2D2Q. I was lurking for years since 2006, signed up a bit later and asked the basic questions, and the planets aligned finally for me to take the May 2012 class.

During that 6 years, there has been a lot of haters, in family and work life. It too got to the point that we just don't tell anyone our in-depth plans any longer. "We are building a house. Just takes a while to plan each step and we aren't in any hurry." I tell them, which accounts for most of the delays, because we ARE going as fast as we can.

It changes you mindset when you go from, "we are building a log house ourselves! Lots of hard work, but we can do it! Going to be awesome!" To moving to say, "yeah, we are just custom building a house."

Invite those over later when you are done, and then tell them about each log you fell, peeled, seasoned, stacked, pinned, sanded, stained, insulated and chinked. Hard for haters to hate then. Instead, they may ask when are u building the next one.
    Last edited by eduncan911; 09-22-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly