Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of Feb 13&14 2016!!

LHBA Member
    Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in.
    I became the `log cabin republican´ in my group...

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    My friend and I, Gary, are leaving our wives at home to come to the class. Look for a greybeard and a retired military looking guy, both kind of vertically challenged.
    hey there Gary and John. you might want to consider allowing the wives to attend. wives tend to (I'm a wife so I can say this....) have minds of their own; ideas of their own. if your wives know the
    principles behind the LHBA practices it might minimize un realistic expectations and avoid some arguments

marriages are happier with both parties on the same page
    having both husband and wife attend class can help with that

building is hard and hard on marriages.

just a thought!
    Last edited by panderson03; 09-23-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Panderson, my wife and I have talked about that before, remember I've been lurking for about four years. She has no interest in going to the class, but is definitely all for it, ever since we saw FiremanSteve's 95% complete house. She physically can't/won't be doing much on the house, but supports it all the way, and will gladly be our cook for the folks working. We'll incorporate ideas they have as much as we can, if we can't, we can't. Neither wife will have issues with that. Gary and I have done projects together and understand how to work with each other. We both listen to ideas brought by any of us, and we discuss until we come up with the best solution. I insisted on Gary going to the class, as I didn't want to get into multiple discussions on how to do something, he needs to have the same background on butt and pass. I've read so many times on this forum, you waste time and money if you go outside the teachings of the class. So the main builders need to be on the same page. The wives are cool with it.

that is good news!! sounds like you've thought it all through.
    access to the member's side is invaluable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    So the main builders need to be on the same page. The wives are cool with it.
    Famous last words. Smile. Wives are absolutely "main builders" even if they never pick up a hammer. But welcome to the family.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

I had the same negative responses from my family a friends. They all live visiting us in our log home now.

LHBA Member
    Thanks for all the support everyone, I feel better about our plans already! It's comforting knowing that others have went through the same negativity and I have already starting telling fabrications to the "curious" people

John and Gary, sounds like you guys will do just fine if your both on the same page, and have each other as back-up to convince the wives LOL. Very glad my and hubby are on the same page, now I just have to convince him (and teach him) how to get on this forum!! I am sure once we get to the other side he will have lots of questions and will appreciate all the advice from you all. Thanks again!!

I think one of the hardest reasonings to reason with others is the "pay as you go" moto they teach in class. It's difficult to fathom in this age of credit lines and car payments the concept of "saving up a little, building part X. Save a little more, build part Y."

Sure, it takes longer to plan and build; but, people just can't grasp that concept when you tell them how you are building it.

As they say on the website, plan on taking the class two years before you are ready to start.

As we say here on the forums: cheap, fast, good. <- you only get to pick two.
    Last edited by eduncan911; 09-24-2015 at 04:02 AM.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Don't worry guys, I'm not saying the wives are second stringers, and they're there only to cook and say Yes Sir. I'm sure we'll have 100 meetings with all of us to get the most of what each wants, and again, what we can do, we'll do. We both firmly understand that if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. And they understand they can't get a $1,000,000 house from a $10,000 investment. We're all pretty practical.