Thread: Logs not long enough...help!

Question Logs not long enough...help!

Dumb question, but what do I need to do if log isn't long enough? All my other logs are 34ft, but I have a few that are 30-ish. Can I use them with a 4 ft section of another, or will that make my home unstable? Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donald View Post
    Dumb question, but what do I need to do if log isn't long enough? All my other logs are 34ft, but I have a few that are 30-ish. Can I use them with a 4 ft section of another, or will that make my home unstable? Thank you.
    Dumb situation but not a dumb question...

Just jushin Don. Can be an easy fix maybe that nobody will suspect.

If you can put the short log in a place where there will be a 4 foot window, you can cut it and "stretch" it to fit. Depending on type of log construction you are using, you may have to block things up or nail in a temporary brace to hold it til time to cut the rest of the logs out.

Every one of those openings happened where we had to straighten or stretch a log.

Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Good info and that looks a lot like the forklift I'm considering picking up.

Yep, target the section where a window will go. You should have exactly where your windows go on your plans.

You want to avoid butting two logs together at all costs (or at least use them where no water will ever touch them).
    Last edited by eduncan911; 06-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

I had a couple big ones (33") that were shorter than the rest, and a couple smaller ones (21"). The big ones I cut to fit around the door openings and the smaller ones I butted together for my Cap logs. Both Cap logs consist of two 24 footers since I had no 48 fitters. Same with Ridge Pole.

Thank you for your answers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Good info and that looks a lot like the forklift I'm considering picking up.
    That ole Hyster was cheap.

You can do it that way but a telehandler is ssooooooo much easier and safer. That shot was taken from 30 feet up on the forks of the Gradall 934c-9 that we picked up to finish the house with. I feel like I can't live without the Gradall... I always thought I'd die trying to get the Hyster to do what it wasn't good at. Having one of each would be a grand idea.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.