Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Solar Power for dummies...off grid hook up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Cap and trade (aka carbon tax) is the next big thing on it's way. Right on the heals of having just finished selling off the last of the country's gold reserves.
    Sorry, but I have to laugh, well maybe snicker. Most of us, I'll bet, don't have a lot of money in gold. Far less in the younger generations. Mostly because over the last 35 years, all the jobs got trickled down to other countries. However, admittedly, those other countries are much better off.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

In the event of an EOTW scenario, gold is worthless anyhow. You can't eat it. You can't warm yourself with it. Heck, unless it's 24 carat, it doesn't even make for good bullets.

Making one as self-sufficient as possible is where true investment needs to be placed.

If you feel you still need a commodity for trading, then things like cigarettes, ammunition, (and especially primers) and alcohol will be much more attractive to someone, than a heavy lump of metal.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    In the event of an EOTW scenario, gold is worthless anyhow. You can't eat it. You can't warm yourself with it. Heck, unless it's 24 carat, it doesn't even make for good bullets.

Making one as self-sufficient as possible is where true investment needs to be placed.

If you feel you still need a commodity for trading, then things like cigarettes, ammunition, (and especially primers) and alcohol will be much more attractive to someone, than a heavy lump of metal.
    They might find the ammo desirable, but I suggest not using it as a trade good. Ditto for anything else easily used against you.

Copper tubing might fetch a good price. Hand tools. Nails.

Better yet, set yourself up with a machine shop/blacksmiths shop.... they supply the metal.

Also....books.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    I can't find prices on their site. Any idea how many dollars per watt for panels alone?

The federal government charges an import duty to raise prices to benefit US makers, but prices are falling anyway. Current panel market ($/watt):

$1+ is common
    $0.80 is a nice discount, not hard to get
    $0.50 can be had with a little patience
    $0.25 is what I got with plenty of patience last October.
    Today's email from SunElec.com brought another listing for Grade B panels (like I got), for 28 cents per watt. It is not advertised on their home page, though. If anyone is interested, I can provide more info.

Peter