Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Power for dummies...off grid hook up.

Technically, one *could* express energy as kilowatt-days, and be correct. It just isn't a good way to express it due to the time scale.

Just sayin' cuz it's fun to be a pita.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Indeed, I think it is the same as "my grill puts out 100,000btu." No it doesn't! Btu is a unit of energy. They mean "btu/hr." Misuse has been so rampant that it has become accepted practice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Misuse has been so rampant that it has become accepted practice.
    Now that it is acceptable to interchange power and energy, I will commit a comment about Tin Hat and his video. I think he did a fairly professional outline for an amateur. It didn't appear that his target audience would be MIT students, but rather a bunch of normal burger flippers and truck drivers who wanted to know if they were too stupid to figure out solar power (energy).

Over the years I have pieced together two solar energy (power) setups and several microhydroelectric systems, and it all seemed to happen with nothing more than hippie/farmer/trucker engineering skills on my part. This technology has made that possible. A person could still get in over her/his head and make a mess of things, but I think it is totally reasonable to think that a normal ole non-metric bumpkin can go off-grid without candles and kerosene. It IS rocket science but seems to be a technology that can be exploited, just like it is possible for a shade tree mechanic to muddle though OBD II and keep the old Dodge on the road.

I watched the whole Tin Hat video and caught a few parts that I would have worded differently, but that happens all the time with me. I just wish I could learn to word differently some of the carp that comes out of my mouth. I think I need an editor.

Didn't really like the hippie video... Too close to home.

PS... Not meaning to offend the engineers here. I admire that thought process which you possess and I never will. Just pointing out that some of us seem to be able to make a life of it all even if we can't figure out what you folks is talking about.

I also admire folks who speak Canadian, even though I can't understand them.

(PLEASE DO NOT READ THAT LAST LINE)
    Last edited by loghousenut; 05-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Technically, one *could* express energy as kilowatt-days, and be correct. It just isn't a good way to express it due to the time scale.

Just sayin' cuz it's fun to be a pita.
    :-D

Peter

Is a smaller scale off gride system any more practical than a large one?

If I am on well water and the power goes out- I have no water. If I have a wood boiler and have no power I have no heat. Would having a small sstem that could power the above and maybe an LED bulb or two be cost effective?

Well, strictly for emergency backup power, a large UPS system would make more sense, instead of a standby solar system.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post
    Is a smaller scale off gride system any more practical than a large one?

If I am on well water and the power goes out- I have no water. If I have a wood boiler and have no power I have no heat. Would having a small sstem that could power the above and maybe an LED bulb or two be cost effective?

Pumping into a potable water storage tank is a good backup for drinking water. The Well I have pumps into a 3,000 gallon tank then a psi pump off of the tank if power is out or other failures occur you can always fill a bucket from the tank . Also with this setup the Well pump does not cycle on/off as much.
    Last edited by rawson; 05-21-2015 at 12:33 PM.

how long is a UPS good for?

Even a small permanent generator would be 2-3 grand.

Blog Entries
    Only if you wanted to power up every electrical appliance you have. A much smaller ginny for an emergency is enough. Well under a grand.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Would depend greatly on how big a UPS you get and how much you are running on it, but if you don't mind a power disruption until a generator starts up, it's probably most cost effective way to go. Just be careful on rated/surge watt ratings. They are usually inflated from reality. I have a 3250w that has a hard time even running my septic pump, and usually isn't able to start my table saw, and thats even after running it through a 5kva transformer to take advantage of the full phase of the genny.

Cripes, last job I was at, we had three big UPS units lying around unused. (I disposed of 11,000 pounds of batteries from two of them) I think two were 80kva and one a 160kva. Probably could find one for free somewhere, and install fresh batteries.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005