Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Log Home Construction in Texas

I'm in the Austin TX area
    And I also happen to be a firefighter

I visited Fireman's house. That's the main reason I attended the course. It was just amazing, and I couldn't get over how MASSIVE it was. he built a 36x36. Big logs. He's a fireman (obviously), and was on for 24 hours, then off for 48. So two days of work on the house, and one day at the fire dept. He almost made it in a year. Took maybe a month longer, but they took 2 or three months off in the middle of the south Texas summer. Message him, nice guy, I'm sure he'll let you take a look.

welcome Tex. thanks for your service. tough work being a firefighter

Hey guys, I guess this question goes out to anyone that can answer it. I have been wanting to take the class for a long time but have not being able to
    to attend I just have too many excuses for not attending but mainly time and money. I am working on September's class.

My question is, when building any size log cabin do you need a crane or can you do without one? Just curious.

are you planning on building anytime soon?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernest65 View Post
    Hey guys, I guess this question goes out to anyone that can answer it. I have been wanting to take the class for a long time but have not being able to
    to attend I just have too many excuses for not attending but mainly time and money. I am working on September's class.

My question is, when building any size log cabin do you need a crane or can you do without one? Just curious.
    You can build the LHBA way with tools that will fit in the trunk of your car. That's how it was done back 35 years ago when I first took the class. Here recently, last 10 years or so, a lot of folks have been using equipment to toss the logs around. Some use a crane, some a boom truck, some a telehandler, some a trackhoe. Some folks rent and some folks buy the equipment and then sell when they are done.

Personally I bought a Gradall 934c9 telehandler but I'd like to do the next one with lifting poles as taught in class.

Yeah, I see the humor in that last statement. Just being honest about how I feel. Reality escapes me occasionally.

PS... Ernest, you will be glad you took the class. It will all make sense then.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.