Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge to Cabin

Why not do both the concrete culverts and the log bridge. If you set the culverts directly underneath and have the bridge wide enough over the top of them, you shouldn't even see them underneath. You can use the culverts along with enough compacted earth on top to act as a safety net just below your wood bridge. Costs more time and money, but safer and more aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    Yes; two or three corrugated pipes. I have one 12 inch cement pipe (20 feet long) that beavers like to plug up. We inserted rebar around the inlet... no problems for 2 years... Knock on wood... 4 cement pipes will carry more water that one twice as big... and there is no maintenance.

Don't build a bridge...unless you have an engineer figure out stuff... Look around up stream, do what they did or ask you county building department for their solution...
    This is a great advice. Its interesting that I came across this thread today. I am having a local install something similar and spoke with him earlier this morning. And as Ronnie said, I will build it low since its seasonal runoff. Just another reason why these forums are so good!

LHBA Member
    Here is some other helpful info that I was told along the way... I have another property with a small runoff ditch parallel to the road (and near the road). The guy I was going to pay to put in the drive told me the county highway department would come tell me what size culvert to buy and the hwy dept. will install it at no charge (I'll feel a little better next time I pay my wheel tax) Needless to say, that guy didn't get the job, I did it myself and hwy dept. set the culvert . My main concern was digging near the asphault.

LHBA Member
    Kinda makes me feel bad cause he was honest and probably didn't have to tell me that... but it also saved me $600+

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Kinda makes me feel bad cause he was honest and probably didn't have to tell me that... but it also saved me $600+
    Buy him n his Boss a steak dinner. You may need him down the road.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Good call. You're right, I will. The "Boss" is actually who told me that information. It's a long time acquaintance and his dad (the Boss). They have a pretty big outfit, me and my driveway would have been small beans for them. However I would like to keep that door open for the future.

I guess it should be said, make sure you don't have any wetlands laws to contend with. My old employer years ago got into a world of scat because he cleaned trash out of a creek on a property he bought, with an excavator.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Some gray area there (around here anyways)... An old farmer I know would ask "what constitutes a wetland?", because my wetland will be dry in about a month give or take. This will be for a weekend cabin, way out in the country, on a deadend road. It's gated. I am not "altering, damming or straightening" a waterway by way of a bridge (culvert I would say is an alteration) And It's not a "major or a minor roadway" (per their literature, IMO)... again, "what would constitute a roadway?"... a road for the public to travel. But good point to bring up.

LHBA Member
    I'll be sure to leave the trash

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I'll be sure to leave the trash
    Seriously, right?

That's the gooberment for ya.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box