Thread: Gaps between logs

Gaps between logs

Hey, can someone tell me if your sapose to leave a gap in between squared logs also why so?
    Thanks Lance

Blog Entries
    We don't used squared logs (lumber) to build our homes. Many/some use logs with gaps big enough to throw a cat through. Long story.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Hey, can someone tell me if your sapose to leave a gap in between squared logs also why so?
    Lance - Have you seen the pictures of our student built log homes... Not one of them has square logs...

But since you asked, wood - lumber - logs shrink about 10 percent until it becomes dry... The bigger the "log" the longer it takes to dry... If one log is supported by the one under it then the entire wall will shrink about 10%... A 100 inch wall will become a 90 inch wall several years after construction. So allowances must be made... If you are stacking one on another you need a bunch of knowledge... which I have none...

We use steel pins to hold our round logs together. Hence they shrink about 10% each but the wall does not shrink. The chinking between the logs provides insulation and expands as the logs shrink... Its magic.

So, it's your choice. but don't try to combine the systems... I have seen interlocking lumber systems that have closed cell foam between the rows... I have also seen logs twist like a cork screw... If you do stack square logs and leave gaps, then you will need to chink, but again there is shrinkage... It ain't easy.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

I did see a house built out of large square logs (lumber) but the pieces came from about a 100 year old bridge so they were very well seasoned out if you could find something like that you may be able to stack them in a butt and pass style. But as far as how to hold them together and keep i would not have any idea.

I would still say come on over and take the class though you may find that they way they teach it would work better for you then trying to do the square log build. Just a thought and i wish you all the luck no matter what road you take.

One other thing to consider is that flat surfaces on top of each other can wick in water and hold it, not allowing the water to dry out thus causing rot. So, if you go with squared logs build your roof big enough to keep your logs dry. Which we do using our method.

Yes its in las Vegas can't make it sorry but thanks everyone for your info