Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw mill?

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Posco View Post
    I've decided to go with two-sided logs instead of a scribe fit and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a way of chasing the taper of the logs. I want to takeoff just enough to give me good bearing surfaces top and bottom without having a log that's a uniform log thickness its entire length.
    He said "without having a log that's a uniform log thickness".

To me this means that he will have taper, but the sides will be flat...

It seams that he doesn't care for chinking, and the logs will be supported by each other. In other words he will have wall shrinkage with all the stuff that that involves... Depending on the species and the individual logs (lumber) there will also be twisting. Which will screw up the old flat on flat. My Doug Fir 4 bys - 3 out of 25 twisted...

If he uses some kind of steel to keep the layers stable, then he will experience individual shrinkage of about 10% in green logs, less if they are aged with out the bark... Keeping the bark on encapsulates the water hence doesn't do much aging, it just calls all critters for a snack.

Now about milling these logs so there will be a taper. The rail guide must be independent of the log. Ideally there would only be one cut on each side.

The normal milling is to cut parallel to the center of the log to get the most lumber out of each. The log is positioned so the center is flat. Then a flat is cut and the log rotated. It is repeated until there is a uniform block.

Again, for Posco to achieve a tapered "log" with one cut, the rail guide must be independent of the log. If he just makes multiple cuts starting with the top of the log, then rolling the flat down and again making multiple cuts a tapered log will be achieved.

Hopefully this is a more complete answer. I doubt that Posco will be back but I wish him luck!

Last edited by rocklock; 03-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Blog Entries
    I recognize that mill. It's sitting in my backyard.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!