Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The tools for building.

The tools for building.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the tools we need for our build, so far i have:

Chain saw
    Alaska saw mill
    Hammer
    Sledge hammer
    100' of chain (3/8" in 10' lengths)
    600' polypropylene rope 1/2" diameter
    Carpenters level
    Rebar cutter (do you think you could use a bolt cutter for this?)
    Pick and shovel
    Post hole digger
    50' tape measure
    Peavey tool
    Swede hook
    Carpenters square
    Bark spud
    Log dogs
    Plumb bob
    Chalk line
    30' extension ladder
    Putty knife
    Mortar board

I'm sure there are things i am missing, i was thinking drawknives but would the spud be better for debarking? And as far as electricity goes well im still in the ait on that one. Suggestions welcome!

electicity, try to get the grid type, if unable, 2500+ watt generator a must. Depends what tools will be used, get a little more than u need. Not a bad idea getting 6-7k w genny to use it in emergencies when power goes out.

The tools mentioned are plenty for building. I had cordless drill (bits), chainsaw, spade/shovel, tape measure, hammers, ax, and few other minor things to build a shed. Logs were small and able to lift by hand, 50-120 lbs. for a house you need more. There is dragging and lifting logs.

Did you take that last class?....

Quote Originally Posted by ivanshayka View Post
    electicity, try to get the grid type, if unable, 2500+ watt generator a must. Depends what tools will be used, get a little more than u need. Not a bad idea getting 6-7k w genny to use it in emergencies when power goes out.

The tools mentioned are plenty for building. I had cordless drill (bits), chainsaw, spade/shovel, tape measure, hammers, ax, and few other minor things to build a shed. Logs were small and able to lift by hand, 50-120 lbs. for a house you need more. There is dragging and lifting logs.

Did you take that last class?....
    No my class is in the end of may, but i like to try and plan ahead if i can (guess it is the former military mind set) so i am trying to get a jump start on the backbone for the build which other then logs and land would be tools i would think. Thanks for the tip! Does a cordless drill do ok? i was worried about the battery going dead fast.

Yea, you'll need all those things.
    No you cannot cut rebar with a bolt cutter.
    You may prefer a better mill than the chainsaw mill, so I would wait on that.

Really though, other than some basic tools which you have listed, don't rush out and spend a ton of money on bunch of new toys until after the class. They may be able to give you a better idea of things you will need more specific to your build, which varies for every member.

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Yea, you'll need all those things.
    No you cannot cut rebar with a bolt cutter.
    You may prefer a better mill than the chainsaw mill, so I would wait on that.

Really though, other than some basic tools which you have listed, don't rush out and spend a ton of money on bunch of new toys until after the class. They may be able to give you a better idea of things you will need more specific to your build, which varies for every member.
    Thanks for the advise, Blane. Im also thinking about adding earplugs/muffs, and knee pads to my list. as i have done flooring before and it is does not play well with a person's knee's.

LHBA Member
    As Blane said, you can't cut rebar with a bolt cutter. But if discover you can, you should not. You want the ends of the cut to be flat, not a wedge or point.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    As Blane said, you can't cut rebar with a bolt cutter. But if discover you can, you should not. You want the ends of the cut to be flat, not a wedge or point.

Peter
    I LOVE this tool: http://www.tolmantool.com/hub.htm
    Most others here prefer something like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-14...8715/100634624
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Can I buy yours used when you finish? :-D

I have a rebar cutter. Only use if you are 220+ and off grid.

Don't get too preoccupied with your list. Id add 4 spuds, take off swede hook, add half a dozen tape measures, augers and a hole hawg. Fall arrestors are good. The pp rope (I used it) may not be what you need. Don't forget the triple block and tackle.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Eagle View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the tools we need for our build. Suggestions welcome!
    A 4X4 F-250 or something similar with a big bed. You need to haul lots of stuff. I still am using mine.
    The 20 volt drill - hammer drill combo will be the best thing... Don't go cheap.
    Two chain saws IMHO are a must. I have 3 plus 2 electric saws.
    I have several wood cutting things that are probably unnecessary but very cool... A Swedish Carving Ax. Several Large chisels 2 inch is about right. I also have several wooden mauls.
    Last edited by rocklock; 02-16-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!