Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: building a 10X10 hunting cabin

building a 10X10 hunting cabin

I am very new to this so please forgive the silly questions. I've watched a lot of youtube videos and am not quite sure what to do at this point.
    I was originally going to try the butt and pass method and using rebar to hold it all together. With my electric drill i'd drill a pilot hole and then drive the the 1/2" rebar down through the two logs to hold them in place. Repeat every three feet or so. The pieces of rebar would be 16". Is that going to be to difficult to accomplish you think?

The other option was to notch out the logs. If I used this method, my question is do both sides of each log get notched at the end? In the half moon/cup fashion? I would assume both sides of the end of each log got notched so that way the main length of the log would rest on the log above or below it, minimizing gaps....correct?

First question, you should be fine. And watch this for the second question: http://youtu.be/3YzalwBcPck?t=21s
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

1 the class recommends spacing, etc.
    2 you aren't doing "butt and pass" if you're notching at all.

Take the class, you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

I guess I wasn't making my notches deep enough? I've seen Dick P's video before just never really realized how deep he notched his logs. My wife was trying to tell me when I was practicing the other day that I needed to notch BOTH the top and bottom of the log. I disagreed. Dick just notches the bottom of each log. Now if I can just make my notches square with each other i'll be in business lol

Your wife has seen too many Lincoln Log toy sets.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    #2, i think you'd want the half moon on the bottom so water would run off better.
    Mike
    Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    1 the class recommends spacing, etc.
    2 you aren't doing "butt and pass" if you're notching at all.

Take the class, you'll be glad you did.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I was originally going to try the butt and pass method and using rebar to hold it all together. With my electric drill i'd drill a pilot hole and then drive the the 1/2" rebar down through the two logs to hold them in place. Repeat every three feet or so. The pieces of rebar would be 16". Is that going to be to difficult to accomplish you think?
    Don't try notching your logs, you will not be that skilful until you have notched one hundred... I built a 10 by 12 shed to protect my well. My only suggestion is to look at the student built homes. There are quite a few that show construction. Do not scrimp on the steel or the foundation. Insure your roof overhang is twice as big as you think it should be. Good luck.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

You mention a class. I'm new here and wondering what class you are referring to? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srowson77 View Post
    You mention a class. I'm new here and wondering what class you are referring to? Thanks!
    The world renown, 2 day log homebuilding class at http://www.buildloghomes.org/

Take the two day class and you will become a lifetime member in the Log Home Builders Association (LHBA). Once you have taken the class you will gain access to the "members only" side of this forum and that's where the real fun begins.

I took the class in 1981 and have been loving it ever since.

PS... Don't take the class unless you are serious about building your own log home with your own two hands.

Last edited by loghousenut; 01-22-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.