Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change of mindset

Change of mindset

Hi my names miles, ive been browsing this site for some time and finally made the leap to becoming a member of this forum. Me and my fiance are plannjng a move south sometime in the next few years. We live just outside providence, ri and have come to the realization that although this is a great area of the country, its pace and society are not all that condusive to our happiness. We have been stuck in this mindset for some time and everyones way of thinking in this forum is refreshing. Ive done some searching looking for recommended books but a lot are outdated and not exactly what im looking for. Id like to find some books that will open my mind to living a simpler life. I heard someone mention the alpha way or something along those lines. Im starting to build my collection of DIY plumbing electrical etc books in preparation for when i get to take the class and build my log home someday. Any recommendations for these would also be greatly appreciated. Id also love to learn to live off the land. Ive been an avid fisherman and hunter my whole life but would love to learn about wild edibles and alternative gardening also. Sorry for all the rambling haha. Im overjoyed to have come across this site while looking at, please excuse me, log kit homes... Eck! Lol
    Cheers, miles

Welcome aboard Miles. I would suggest going ahead and signing up for a class sooner rather than later because the things you will learn will help greatly as far as planing your future. I have the same dreams of being more self sufficient and have learned a lot from LHBA in that regard.
    Blane

Thanks blane. Im trying to get one more person on board with me for the february class. Hopefully i can get someone to come. If i dont find someone to commit by the end of this month ill most likely sign up by myself. Hopefully it doesnt fill by then. Fingers crossed. If not i will be in the next available class next year thats for sure. Were shooting for a move 1.5-3 years and everyone says the class is best to take teo years before you plan on building which would work out perfect!

Take your Fiance'. That would be the best advice I could offer. You will then be both committed to this and be off to a great start.

It will be $$$$ well spent!!

LHBA Member
    Welcome Miles. I agree with the advice to take the class sooner rather than later...and also about taking your fiance' to the class.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

I mentioned it to her. Shes gave me that sorta one eye up one down look lol. She loves log homes but im slowly easing her into the idea of doing it ourselves. Shes just not sure she will be able to take the time with a possible job move coming up. Were also planning/saving for our wedding so trying to adhere to a budget. I fully understand it will be well worth it. I may actually talk to her father who is one heck of a craftsman himself who is pondering the idea of a move south when he retires. Also, My best friend who is on his way to florida soon but ultimately wants to end up mid atlantic like we want to. I just introduced the site to him and he seems very very interested.

I can certainly understand that Miles.

Good luck with your process. Its a lot of hard work but well worth it. My wife loves our log home.

Blog Entries
    Take anyone else, but be sure to take the Girl. If she doesn't like the whole idea now, she'll really not like the idea when you are wasting her life chasing this silly, impossible dream that all her friends thinks is NUTS.

Ask anyone who has built a LHBA home. They'll tell you how the world becomes an expert and the builder is doing it all wrong. I'd go so far as to say that there has never been a LHBA home constructed where 75% of the friends and family thought it was a good idea from the start. Having the retired contractor who lives next door snickering behind your back is annoying. Having the Woman you love snickering behind your back is disastrous. If she is the right one for the long haul, I really, really think you should go to class as a couple. I'd say the same thing if she were my Daughter or you were my Son.

Love, Dad
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Dad is right. I took my wife, and it really really helps to have the boss on the same page. She acted a little bored in class but is getting the fever more and more. There is no snickering here which really helps keep the dream alive. Neither of you will regret it.

I mentioned the book "The Alpha Strategy" but that is a book on economics, not a simpler life.