Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Got my solar power off-grid system up and running (finally)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phorvath View Post
    Hello Loghousenut! You seem to be the wisest here and I always appreciate your good advice. Phil (hello NSA!)
    Is it possible you're from either Colorado or Washington?
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    LHN, Wisest? Boy have you been snookered.
    It was a typo. He meant wiseassed.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Phil (phorvath) just PM'd me with his apologies... He meant w i d e s t.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Hello donjuedo!
    Thanks very much for this information. The batteries that I have looked at are Rolls (my first choice) followed by Trojan. I calculated that I will need 16 nine volt batteries. Hopefully I can live off-grid 100% with a complete solar system. I don't plan on having a lot of appliances. This will be a complete change in lifestyle and I am looking forward to it.
    Have a great day!
    Phil

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phorvath View Post
    Hello donjuedo!
    Thanks very much for this information. The batteries that I have looked at are Rolls (my first choice) followed by Trojan. I calculated that I will need 16 nine volt batteries. Hopefully I can live off-grid 100% with a complete solar system. I don't plan on having a lot of appliances. This will be a complete change in lifestyle and I am looking forward to it.
    Have a great day!
    Phil
    I'm glad it was useful. But now I'm curious about your need. You said you need 9 volt batteries but all the batteries offered have even voltages, not odd. An inverter won't care, but a charger or BMS would.

Peter

LHBA Member
    Anyone checked into the latest Tesla whole home battery yet, pros or cons?

LHBA Member
    I did read a little. The 10 KWH model is not meant for daily discharge, but the 7 KWH model is. It just happens to be the energy I use in an average day, without heating or cooling. To be off-grid and last 3 days due to cloudy weather, I'd be OK with 7 units. That would cost just over 10 kilobucks. I will wait.

LHBA Member
    Did hear that Tesla isn't even making the batteries yet. Still in some sort of preliminary phase. At least that's what a solar company in Huntsville, AL told us when we inquired about solar.
    I have been to several websites to price an off-grid solar system and have gotten wildly different estimates.
    The only main appliances that will run will be fridge and separate freezer. The rest is lights(led), ceiling fans, and other small appliances. The well will be on a separate/dedicated solar system.

I was just curious about what was the "norm" with those who have off-grid solar? I know it varies wildly, but I'm trying to get an idea of what is reasonable and what sounds outlandish.

Everyone here sounds like they know way more than I do so I just thought I might get some friendly advice?

Thanks!

I found this that said they would be deliveries this summer, may not be THIS summer but im not sure.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall
    Jason - LHBA Class of May/2015

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall ~Confucius~

Has anyone looked at lithium-ion batteries? I'm thinking of combining a few LiFePO4 ones and some supercapacitors.