Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crazy question

crazy question

I no there are way to many answers,but i will ask anyway.I live in central Florida if i had to buy the logs,not including shipping.I guess just using pine,what would I be looking at for cost for lets say a 3500 square foot house.I dont no if i would be looking at $5,000 or $50,000 just looking for a educated guess(logs only I no what everything else would cost.

Thanks for the help.happy i joined the forum,and yes i am looking into taking the class.

Anywhere from free to 15k
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick W View Post
    I no there are way to many answers,but i will ask anyway.I live in central Florida if i had to buy the logs,not including shipping.I guess just using pine,what would I be looking at for cost for lets say a 3500 square foot house.I dont no if i would be looking at $5,000 or $50,000 just looking for a educated guess(logs only I no what everything else would cost.

Thanks for the help.happy i joined the forum,and yes i am looking into taking the class.
    Ditto on the cost just posted. Since we bought a property, so we could log what we needed from it? Our cost is essentially FREE. When Len built his first log home 30 years ago, he met with a landowner and paid for the standing trees. He logged all he had marked, skidded them, and then hired a truck driver to deliver them to his property. When you go to the class, how to get deals on logs will be discussed. Also, afterward you can connect with other members (hopefully close to you). With a little homework, you can get deals on logs!

I recommend you sign up for the class ASAP as it is filling up! These classes aren't taught often, either, so best get on it

Yea, $15k is the upper limit of what I plan on spending on logs. (with the hopes it will be less)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I bought 51 Engelmann Spruce for $3500 Delivered. Paid a guy guy $500 to meet me there and unload them. They were around 35' long with an average diameter of about 15". He charged me by the truckload and I was SHOCKED he loaded that many.

I bought another load of lodge pole for $3,000 with a $500 unload fee. I cannot remember the quantity. I am guessing in the 40 range. I had way more logs than I needed. However, for the purchase cost, they were almost cheaper than buying firewood.

IMO the logs were dirt cheap and I do not know how they made money out of them. I am sure the profit was not much.

I was able to build my home, and cut up a few years supply of wood for my stove. I still have a few logs that I am keeping for a future project.
    Last edited by jasonfromutah; 10-28-2014 at 06:59 AM.

14000 for 100 40' white pines 6 were 60'

Yep, anywhere from free to lots $$$$.....
    We paid right around $10K for 120 35' and 4 45' red pine, not including shipping (2 trucks) from Michigan to Indiana. 12" butts on the wall logs, pealed.

We could have got larger cheaper logs most likely with more searching.
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Now go down to that kit house place and find their cheapest 2,000 square foot unfinished shell to begin the thought process in earnest. Try to confine your search to fairly thick walls... You know, 12"-36" thick.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Anywhere from free to 15k
    Thank you and to everybody who has responded,now I just see dollar sighs disappearing no siding,no plywood,no insulation,and no wall board.

Well, some insulation. You'll need to stuff some down every chinking line.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner