Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What will you or what have you done to save $$$ (?)

Quote Originally Posted by TrishD View Post
    I am looking at flooring options. What was recommended in class was 2 x 6 car decking and when I called for pricing today it seemed like a more expensive option than carpet and tile. For a 30 x 30 home, we would need 120 -16ft's. At $17.00 a piece that comes to approx. $2040, or $25 a sq. yd. Not cost effective from what I see... Is there something I'm missing here?
    You're forgetting having to install subfloor and joists on 16" centers to support tile or carpet. Good subfloor isn't cheap
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

$25 a square yard is only $2.77 a square foot. Not bad for good flooring. I've bought both cheap and expensive tile for one house. Cheap tile wears poorly. Cracks easily and chips when you drop anything on it. Expensive tile...I've dropped my heavy clothes iron on it and never a chip. Some things shouldn't be scrimped on, in my opinion. Flooring, shoes and dental care are a few of those things.

Agree, adding parachutes, fire extinguishers and brain surgery. ;-{>8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralsands View Post
    Some things shouldn't be scrimped on, in my opinion. Flooring, shoes and dental care are a few of those things.
    Flooring, shoes, dental care, tires, and heart surgery!

I forget who he was but he was some stand-up comic from the old days, who said "Never let a cheap doctor do your heart surgery".
    Last edited by loghousenut; 11-15-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishD View Post
    I am looking at flooring options. What was recommended in class was 2 x 6 car decking and when I called for pricing today it seemed like a more expensive option than carpet and tile. For a 30 x 30 home, we would need 120 -16ft's. At $17.00 a piece that comes to approx. $2040, or $25 a sq. yd. Not cost effective from what I see... Is there something I'm missing here?
    Let's keep it an apples to apples comparison. 2x6 T&G is the whole floor with nothing more needed. Carpet or tile? What else is required? (subfloor underlayment, padding, cement-board, tile adhesive, grout, etc) Consider all aspects!
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

My first floor is going to be hardwood 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 t and g. It will be milled by a local guy for $ .30 /bf. I will have to do a lot of t and g ing, drying, sending, and finishing. But I'm hoping to save few bucks.

LHBA Member
    Almost free logs
    Buying recycled windows, doors, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, etc
    Utilizing free or low cost labor.
    Pay as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by gumpond View Post
    Almost free logs
    Buying recycled windows, doors, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, etc
    Utilizing free or low cost labor.
    Pay as I go.
    Good for you!

Right now, Len is finishing up on the mobile addition. It has gone more slowly, due to paying as we go, but it will likely take him about a week longer to finish it and install our wood stove (designed and built by Len).

Installing our wood stove will save us a LOT of $$$

So i just found this post here and thought i might add one little thing i found just "lurking" (as LHN likes to call it) ;P the internet last night, i have found it is kinda likes cragslist but never hurts to have more then one source.

http://www.recycler.com/