Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What will you or what have you done to save $$$ (?)

Here is the little log cabin Len is working on. It is meant to be a bit whimsical, so he isn't being all that particular. We have only spent money on the concrete and the rebar, as the logs came from trees on our property:

This will be a 1.5 story (loft) and also have a front porch.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Len View Post
    Here is the little log cabin Len is working on. It is meant to be a bit whimsical, so he isn't being all that particular. We have only spent money on the concrete and the rebar, as the logs came from trees on our property:

This will be a 1.5 story (loft) and also have a front porch.
    This is perfect! What size is this?

Thanks

13' X 16' with a covered front porch being added. The size was determined for our use, but I would recommend it to be 16' X 16' with a loft if you want to live in it, temporarily.

Here are pics of our FREE kitchen, the one we brought home today:

We were given the uppers, lowers, back window, stove/oven, kitchen sink, and island. The tiles for the island were given to us, but the rest couldn't be salvaged.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Len View Post
    13' X 16' with a covered front porch being added. The size was determined for our use, but I would recommend it to be 16' X 16' with a loft if you want to live in it, temporarily.

Here are pics of our FREE kitchen, the one we brought home today:

We were given the uppers, lowers, back window, stove/oven, kitchen sink, and island. The tiles for the island were given to us, but the rest couldn't be salvaged.
    We're thinking seriously about an 18x18 for seasonal use for the next several years, then building the main cabin within the next 10 years or so...perhaps collectively using the 18 x18 cabin for about 12 weeks out of the year..so stay at the cabin perhaps June-July or July-August then come back up and stay the month of October for deer hunting season.

What are your thoughts on this idea? I know 18 x 18 is small, but we won't be living there full time..not until we build the main big cabin years down the road.

Thanks!

We're thinking seriously about an 18x18 for seasonal use for the next several years, then building the main cabin within the next 10 years or so...perhaps collectively using the 18 x18 cabin for about 12 weeks out of the year..so stay at the cabin perhaps June-July or July-August then come back up and stay the month of October for deer hunting season.

What are your thoughts on this idea? I know 18 x 18 is small, but we won't be living there full time..not until we build the main big cabin years down the road.

Thanks!
    An 18' X 18' with a loft, would work fine for temporary living. See link below for floorplan ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiny...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

You can also get a feel for this size by checkout out RV's! By looking inside them in person, you will notice all the space saving ideas.

I let my fingers do the walking this week to the log kits home side of things. I haven't been there in quite a while. I guess I needed some refreshing.

I started by looking at a 40x40 for a 1600 sq ft floor plan. I found that the kit folks want $120 to $150 per sq ft with out labor. Then I figured the same for a full basement, log walls, roof with aluminum. Chinking and insulation. I was quite extravagant with the kitchen and windows. I came up with something about $65 per sq ft. Not including labor in each home.

I can tell you upfront using the butt and pass method you will have a stronger better engineered home. The house will Not "crush"down on itself in ten years. The logs will wear better and retain their integrity longer.

Is there something that I have over looked?

Blondie
    Last edited by Blondie; 11-01-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I am Blonde

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I let my fingers do the walking this week to the log kits home side of things. I haven't been there in quite a while. I guess I needed some refreshing.

I started by looking at a 40x40 for a 1600 sq ft floor plan. I found that the kit folks want $120 to $150 per sq ft with out labor. Then I figured the same for a full basement, log walls, roof with aluminum. Chinking and insulation. I was quite extravagant with the kitchen and windows. I came up with something about $65 per sq ft. Not including labor in each home.

I can tell you upfront using the butt and pass method you will have a stronger better engineered home. The house will Not "crush"down on itself in ten years. The logs will wear better and retain their integrity longer.

Is there something that I have over looked?

Blondie
    I feel like you've overlooked something but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't know... maybe that kit house idea deserves a close look.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

This is way cheaper than buying slapped-together-cheaply at the box store. A shed this size range from $800 to $3000. The price of this, it's a $10/sf building, or $1000 total. Another $10/sf for furniture, and pretty finishing to make it livable. It's way cheaper for me to build any kind of building out of the logs than buying materials or any kits at the store.

Last edited by ivanshayka; 11-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanshayka View Post
    This is way cheaper than buying slapped-together-cheaply at the box store. A shed this size range from $800 to $3000. The price of this, it's a $10/sf building, or $1000 total. Another $10/sf for furniture, and pretty finishing to make it livable. It's way cheaper for me to build any kind of building out of the logs than buying materials or any kits at the store.

Great job! I agree with you, too.

Recently, I saved money by picking mushrooms off our own property and then canned them. Not just a few, but 15#s of them! This resulted in 11 pints of Shaggy Parasol Mushrooms.

Tonight, I saved more money by canning up my own applesauce. Granted it was only 2 qts and 2 pints, I still have quite a few apples to process tomorrow.

My FREE score today was a 50" flat screen tv. It pays to open up and say something... My wonderful Boss has been spending thousands furnishing and adorning our little office "hub." He had hung up a 50" flat screen, which needed to be cleaned. I brought in a cleaning cloth, but noticed it was sparkling clean and commented about it. He grinned and asked me if I hadn't noticed it was a new tv?! "Great, but where is the other one?" He told me it was in his Escalade, so I asked him if he wanted to get rid of it. Seems that are some ports not working, but the speaker works fine, and I am great at working around electronic issues. If I can't get it to work with our surround sound (Len is hearing impaired), I'll call up my brilliant brother, who excels in fixing electronics. It will look rather big on the wall of our singlewide mobile, LOL. But you can't beat FREE!