Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What will you or what have you done to save $$$ (?)

Recently, I saved money by picking mushrooms off our own property and then canned them. Not just a few, but 15#s of them! This resulted in 11 pints of Shaggy Parasol Mushrooms.
    This year my parents picke about 200+ lbs of mushrooms, they grow in the fall time! I don't know the name. They canned boxes of quarts mason jars. And dried probably 2 5-gallon buckets. With a lot of work and just a bit of $, they have a lot of food.

Another thing my parents do is buy a pig at the farm, slaughter it there, chop it into 1/4, finish butchering it at home, comes out to be about $1/lb or less. They use most of the pig for something, rarely do they waste anything.

Another thing they do, is going to the farmer and pick up potatoes after the harvester did it's thing, not all the potatoes get picked up, the ones left over get picked up by my dad (dad loves to do this). The farmer charges less than $10 for a full pickup bed. Most of the time my parents store it in a cellar. Enough potatoes to last 6 mo for them and most of us kids (don't ask how many in our family, and almost all of us are married).

These are few things you can do to save good chunk of money. This applies to most things that we purchase on the daily basis. It is easier to save if you plan ahead and wait for a while to see that deal. At times when you need it NOW (and I'm talking about myself) there is very little room to play.

Blog Entries
    Am I the only one who found free rebar! I got a 3800 lb load from a bridge contractor (cost me a jug of Pendletons). I then got another good sized load when an outfit tore out a dam on the Rogue River about 4 miles from our place. That one cost me a case of beer but they loaded the rebar with their telehandler.

Skip said rebar is free. He was right.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Way cool, loghousenut! No free rebar here, yet, but hope we will get some too!

Quote Originally Posted by ivanshayka View Post
    This year my parents picke about 200+ lbs of mushrooms, they grow in the fall time! I don't know the name. They canned boxes of quarts mason jars. And dried probably 2 5-gallon buckets. With a lot of work and just a bit of $, they have a lot of food.

Another thing my parents do is buy a pig at the farm, slaughter it there, chop it into 1/4, finish butchering it at home, comes out to be about $1/lb or less. They use most of the pig for something, rarely do they waste anything.

Another thing they do, is going to the farmer and pick up potatoes after the harvester did it's thing, not all the potatoes get picked up, the ones left over get picked up by my dad (dad loves to do this). The farmer charges less than $10 for a full pickup bed. Most of the time my parents store it in a cellar. Enough potatoes to last 6 mo for them and most of us kids (don't ask how many in our family, and almost all of us are married).

These are few things you can do to save good chunk of money. This applies to most things that we purchase on the daily basis. It is easier to save if you plan ahead and wait for a while to see that deal. At times when you need it NOW (and I'm talking about myself) there is very little room to play.
    Your parents will have shrooms for years!!! We have raised pigs, but I am not supposed to eat pork. That is fine, as I am happy to eat everything else on my list. I thought of something else...

Does any one else cut their own hair? I have been doing this since I was 18. That must saved me a bundle over all these years!

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Len View Post
    Does any one else cut their own hair? I have been doing this since I was 18. That must saved me a bundle over all these years!
    My husband trims my hair and I trim his. I haven't had my hair cut professionally since I was about 10!

So how and where do u find this free rebar?

Concrete recycling plants?? The scrap yard??

Blog Entries
    One of mine from a highway bridge contractor and one from a contractor tearing out a dam. Big jobs always have too much rebar at the end of the job. 2 out of 6 of my attempts struck gold.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I am looking at flooring options. What was recommended in class was 2 x 6 car decking and when I called for pricing today it seemed like a more expensive option than carpet and tile. For a 30 x 30 home, we would need 120 -16ft's. At $17.00 a piece that comes to approx. $2040, or $25 a sq. yd. Not cost effective from what I see... Is there something I'm missing here?
    "When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal,
    You do not change your decision to get there."
    Zig Ziglar

Blog Entries
    Some shopping around might whittle 25% off of that but you are in the ball park. It will make a reliable, good looking, noisy floor that is fairly easy to maintain. Looks nice from below if you are using it for your loft.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Some shopping around might whittle 25% off of that but you are in the ball park. It will make a reliable, good looking, noisy floor that is fairly easy to maintain. Looks nice from below if you are using it for your loft.
    Hmmmm... it makes my 400 sq.ft. of tile for $284 look pretty good!
    "When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal,
    You do not change your decision to get there."
    Zig Ziglar