Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Read... No Log Home Stuff...

Blog Entries

Do Not Read... No Log Home Stuff...

Just thought I'd mention how, even a guy as knowledgeable as I, can get himself all cinched up in a real problem. Happens with log building also but this had more to do with another of my hobbies... Gluttony.

I am a practicing glutton and I have perfected cheapness. That means that when I see a wild mushroom, I stalk it, identify it, and act somewhat appropriately. The Agaricus are fruiting in my world. I was over at the Boy's new place last week and there was a bunch of what appeared to be Agaricus Campestris. Being a natural teacher I got the kid interested in them and got him on the net looking at mushroom ID keys. Once ID'ed I picked all the really nice ones and went home to a feast. Jake is reserved enough to avoid wild mushrooms but you could tell his ears were perked. Still he didn't keep any for himself.

I ate a good skilletfull that night (Patty is too wary of anything weird so I was all alone in my gluttony). I had another skilletfull the next night after work and had Patty convinced that we'd bar-BQ a few big ones like the Portabellas from the Muffin Store for our Tuesday evening date night. Tuesday is one of the two days I have off every week and it's one of two times each week we get to eat supper together.

So on my Tuesday off I had to go to town for an errand. Sure enough I pass the prettiest bunch of A. Campestris you ever saw. I stop and strick up a conversation with the landowner and he says "My Daughter says they're bad mushrooms but you can have all you want". I took a bucketful. Got home and cooked two wokfulls for a late breakfast/early lunch. Man they was good!

Favorite neighbor calls and cuts my meal short because he needs to borrow the telehandler. I gobbled as much of the second wokfull as I could and headed up to his place and in no time we were done with his job and just standing around talking about women and other such nonsense. I cut him off 5 minutes into a story and said I had to hit the john for my morning poop. Immediately got on the telehandler and headed the 300 yards back home, wondering if I was going to make it. Just inside my driveway it all started exiting out the entrance. I was ashamed at all the big, non-chewed chunks. It just kept happening, like it did when I was a kid learning about Tequila. I'm a pretty good multitasker so I was able to get the telehandler somewhere close to the ugly trailer as I continued marking my territory. Only about 9 to 27 violent eruptions happened before I climbed off the telehandler and tried to time things optimally for some quality toilet time. I MADE IT!

After awhile it was obvious that I had mostly emptied myself. I cleaned up, went out and watered down what I could find so the dogs wouldn't get sick, and went about notifying all I knew to lay off the mushrooms til I could identify my mistake.

Nearest I can figure is that Jake's mushrooms were A. Campestris, and most of the second batch were also. I only got ill after eating the last of Jake's batch and including a few of the second batch to fill up the wok. Most of the mushrooms that are left are big open, easy to identify fruits. But a few of them were little buttons that were growing right under some of the big ones. I have one unopened little one that looks like an unopened A. Campestris but when I slice it, the gills are fairly white and it leaves no visible spore print. I have never spore printed an unopened mushroom before so I don't know if this is normal or not.

What I do know is that this is the nastiest distress I have ever had with a mushroom and I am glad it was only me. Just goes to show you that you can't always trust yourself... It's the same in building. Be careful and be sure.

Then it'll still go all haywire on you once in awhile.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 10-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Oops, glad you've survived - we didn't plan to arrive at your funeral. Seriously, wild mushroom foraging has been a great tradition we follow. We first pick a pile, and then do an additional selection. If there is anything that remotely creates any uncertainty, no matter how pretty (or similar to the kind we know for sure) it looks, we throw it away. We like picking more than eating though. Be careful.

LHBA build is a process. Accept it'll take some time, will be more expensive than you thought and enjoy the journey.

crap!pun intended too late i read it now im blind!! damn you lhn damn you!! lol

018.jpg

I found this in the woods at Winterwood. If you'd like I can go back and get it for you?

(Some people will put anything in their mouths....ehem...)

What a relief you are okay after that scare! I'd definitely detox after an episode like that (hard on your internal organs). You should take Activated Charcoal and also follow that up with Cayenne Pepper Tincture (Raw Garlic helps too) any time you feel like you might have been food poisoned. Now, you should eat the B R A T diet for a few days (Bananas, Rice, Applejuice, and Toast). In addition, drink good pure water, lots of it!

I do believe ye' must lay off the shrooms until ye' can identify the ones ye' feast upon with 100% accuracy! That said, Len and I have been picking mushrooms together for 11 years now. The good news? Never had been ill once. Reason? Following the most important rule about wild mushrooms - 100% ID ACCURACY. We pick a dozen or so varieties of wild mushrooms, avoid the ones that are similar to the poisonous types, and stick to the easier to ID type. When we are finished, I dump all of our mushrooms out in the sink and ID them again, one by one.

Glad your feeling better now. You have to take care and stop messing around with them wild stuff.

Soooo glad I don't like mushrooms.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

While I was in Seabeck today, Sam (our trusty watchdog and beloved pet), accompanied me on a hike in the forest. I was armed with my paper lunch sacks and a handy carry bag, in search of Chanterelle Mushrooms. Yes, just in time...

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Sultan, Washington I used to pick Chanterelles by the gunny sack full. I love em. I wonder how they'd taste coming back up?
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    When I lived in Sultan, Washington I used to pick Chanterelles by the gunny sack full. I love em. I wonder how they'd taste coming back up?
    LOL, they don't unless you are already sick from eating the wrong mushrooms... Tonight, I made Venison Stew from my canned venison with onions, potatoes, kale, spinach, chard, cabbage, carrots, celery, and CHANTERELLE mushrooms. Len told me it was one of my best stews ever!