Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: reality check

Blog Entries
    9 women... Now THAT is a classic.

One or two people trying to build a really cool stick house, without going in debt too far. And did I mention that they have never done it before, or they work full time, or that they live 3 hours away?

Me, I am just old and lazy and enjoying the process. Your mileage may vary. The LHBA thing is just not the same as most other ways of doing it. I think that's part of why I like it. You''ll probably agree.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

My Len took the class from Skip, 30 years ago, then began logging 6 months later. It took him 2 years start to finish, from the time he began logging, to complete his first 3-story log home. He did this while averaging 60hr work weeks and got very little help, but some with the finish work. This time, Len will devote himself to building our log home (1-story with a loft). He is a very driven hardworking guy, so I don't think it will take him much longer than a year to build our home.

You could hire it out and be living in it pretty quick. I didn't and that's why it took me so long. I did have some occasional volunteer labour but I spent many a night after working my day job by myself until after midnight and doing it all over again the next day.

There is certainly nothing wrong with your question(s).

Here is/are my experience(s):

My 30x30 took 4 1/2 years. Cash flow, full time teaching job, full time side business, 3 boys in High School and Middle school, finding logs, waiting on help........ were all factors.

If I had some cash saved for another build, if I had 2 full time laborers, and about 75% less work and family commitments, I could easily build a log home in less than a year.

I can assure you that stacking logs and pounding re-bar although physical, does not take that long.

There is no easy solution building a log home. However, is it worth it? It sure was/is for me. It is a great feeling to be 99% done!

One of the members is a fireman. He worked one full 24 hour day, then had two off. He was 95% complete in a year.

I'm confused. Takes long?

It's still faster and cheaper than a 30 year mortgage.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

He took a lot of time off and had a bunch of firemen helping him I think. Plus the man is just plain tough as nails. And a super nice guy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    One of the members is a fireman. He worked one full 24 hour day, then had two off. He was 95% complete in a year.

If ya want to drop coins in the labor slot, Ronnie Wiley can show ya what "speed it up" means.

The beauty of this method is that there is an application of it, just for you.

One member builds the whole shell in like a week. And yes, he is for hire.

These are my opinions about why it takes so long to build this way.

First of all, you will in all likelihood find it hard to gather the materials. The logs are hard to find, and it is hard to find someone to haul them whole to your site. Most loggers only want to move logs that are under 16 feet long and you will need logs a little longer than your house will be. The rafters and joists are unusually large. Brackets for them if you need them have to be made to order. I have experienced many materials delays in this process.

Another reason it takes so long is that handling such large pieces is slow. Not only are they large and heavy but they are non standard. Nothing in your log house will be square, plumb or level. That means that everything must be fitted in place after being measured and cut. That sounds slow doesn't it? Well, it is. If you hire this done to speed it up, you will pay extra in money.

It is hard to get someone who has the right skills, even among builders. Probably they will not have experience shaping logs with chainsaws, chinking, or any of the many tasks involved. Of course everyone can learn on the job, including yourself. The mistakes will show when you make them, which is not an issue if that is not something that is important to you. It's not important to me. But I did have a more serious issue. I had my floor built the way it was taught in class, only to have it fall apart. Yes, there was a fix, but it again added time, money, and was significantly painful to install (physically painful). The learning curve unavoidably takes time.

I would not do this again. I lived for 12 years in a single wide trailer which was literally falling down around my head as I raised my kids. I would be pleased as punch to live in any house I made by myself. I would be damn proud in fact. There is nothing wrong with a stick built house. It is easy, quick, durable and relatively cheap.

The advertising side of LHBA emphasises that building a butt and pass log home can be done by anyone, and that it will be cheap. These claims are what got me into class and now I am half way through building my house. But now, older and wiser, I do not agree with either concept. It's not something that anyone can do, nor is it cheap. It could be done cheaply, but so could a stick built house. A log house has no inherent advantage in cheapness that I can see. The enormity of this process was not apparent to me until I was already committed.

I would recommend this class if you have your heart set on building a unique log home and you are willing to pay for that luxury with considerable amounts of time, money, backaches and sweat. If that describes you then you will really like this method and should go ahead with no qualms.