Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: reality check

reality check

I've not taken the class yet and we plan to in Feb, but I need to have you guys tell me if I'm being unrealistic here. The plan is to build next year. We have an idea of what we want to build but suspect that will change after the class. I've read on blogs that the logs need to be seasoned for several months before assembly. Is this the case? If so I may have to come up with plan B.

There is so much we don't know . . .

there is no seasoning required with this system

Green is no problem with LHBA method. Other methods have to season out. Building by myself with my wife and son using B&t took me 4 years though. To do it in one year would have meant doing it full time.

Dunno which blogs you have been reading, but if you build a notched style, you better season for years.

Good luck getting done in one season.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    Ditto all of the above. Do you really care about your plan or is it just a plan? It's most likely a plan that was made whilst thinking about a kit house and a 30 year mortgage. If that's the case, you will learn about an amended plan when you go to class.

That may make you think that your dreams will be crushed in Vegas... True, dreams have been crushed in Vegas, but that usually has to do with bright lights and controlled substances. LHBA will most likely generate a whole new set of dreams based on things like sweat, and family, and accomplishment, and a home that you build with your own hands that your Grankids will leave to their children.

Somewhere in your family tree you'll find the last person in your lineage who paid cash for the family home. My Son is 22 and his parents are the last in his lineage... so far. He and his love are saving to pay cash for their first home. It can still be done, but not with the type of log home that you've been thinking of. Take the class and let your dreams evolve.

If I were you two and all those kids, then yes... A year would be unrealistic. In the end, the kids won't mind the wait. It is only your adult drive and enthusiasm, coupled with your fancified view of how life is leaving you behind, that makes you worried about months or years. Raise the kids and give them something to look back on.

Yeah, I know... Mighty loose words for a fat ole man with a half built pile of firewood. Just take the class.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHN has been the most profound encouragement for me with his words of wisdom. With 5 kids living in a 35 year old single wide for four years I might have given up a few times if it were not for him pretty much telling me to suck it up. But we pressed on and now have a paid for house that still needs some more interior doors and a few more kitchen cabinets that we are saving cash to pay for, not to mention, I am catching up on some play time with my littles before jumping back in to build mode.

This is not the modern day American dream "2 car garage and a 30 year mortgage". Its lots of hard work and a great deal of satisfaction in the end. So, think about parking a used trailer house on your lot and take as much time as you need and have something to leave the kids besides debt.
    Last edited by blane; 10-15-2014 at 09:21 AM.

I'll start this repeating my closing from the first post. There is much we don't know.

Money and the debt free lifestyle aside (I don't disagree with the philosophy), why does it take so long? Is it the driving of the rebar, the chinking or what? I'm used to stick built and I as a project manager I know I can usually speed things up by adding labor. What I'm seeing is passing comments that indicate that you can't do that. Why? I'm sure we will get that answer once we take the class. If the answer is proprietary I understand, I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    With added hired labor it can certainly speed things up. Just make sure you have help that can follow instructions and not try to do things like they did it somewhere else. It seems helps always want to tell you how so and so would do it. All depends on your own needs, your lot, your equipment, your time input, your logs, your codes, ect, ect, ect. I believe the fireman in Texas built his start to move in just about a year. The guys building two at once are moving along quite quickly, looks like an Ohio build may take about 2 years, Arizona build took a year and half to get permitted but are moving at lightening speed now, most take 2-4, some take much more. There are many builds at different stages going on currently, you get access to the good and bad from those folks on the other side. It really helps to have all these other people posting their issues and solving them. Many times someone has put out a problem and how they fixed it just in time so I don't have to ask.

I sped mine up only because the county has an 18 month period allowed. Then new permits, under new code, at new rates. I wasn't going through that again so I got help. 95% of help ends up giving you ulcers, because they think they know better. I found a one in a million that not only knows how, but runs everything by me, knowing that I'm the one who is going to be living there. I would still be stacking the 4th course if it wasn't for Scott.

9 women can't make a baby in a month.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner