Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Naysayers

oh my, i almost chocked! thats hilarious, and my buddy would laugh at that one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kahle View Post
    The original question that started this thread asked about why the idea that log cabins are cold is so wide spread. I think I have a reasonable answer to that. It all comes down to R-value. The R value of wood is about 3 per inch which gives a 12" diameter log a maximum R-value of 36 and an average R-value of about 25.
    Knot to be a knit picker......... Wood 1.3 R per inch... Thermal Mass, they don't have a clue. But they "those that are smarter" know its exists, it's real, just can't put a number on it yet. It's part of the reason "thermal mass" why we're still able to build with logs. They did set a minimum diameter where we live, 12". You can no longer build a year round residence in Marquette County, Mi. with anything else because of our climate and energy codes. Most Kit homes were of smaller diameter, 6-8". I was never able to afford large enough logs that I believe we needed to live here, until after taking the class in 08'. Our house logs are laying in our field and ready to be stacked in the spring.

Apples to Apples... I've been in many log homes of all different diameters and construction. The only ones that were "cold" were those that were poorly constructed or lacked an adequate heat source. The bigger the Mass, the better it will perform with all other construction being equal. What you Don't get in a conventional frame is Mass, just a resistance to heat loss or gain. ICF's/ buildings are probably the best thing going in todays building world. But they're not wood. A lot more work building a log home.

I'm crazy, just ask any of my Naysayers.... There is a fairly large family of "crazies" in the Members Forum. It's a safe bet that anyone that has taken the class is considered so..... Love them All! They have kept my head in the game when we've hit the many hurdles that you encounter in this endeavor. Most of them don't know what an inspiration they've been as I don't respond to most posts, I've read most of them and have since before my wife & I took the class. We Will build with the logs we have in the LHBA method. It is the method that I believe is the best for us and having a fair knowledge of log construction it is doable by us. I know it will be warm.

Tom

Boy we are a rare breed of people , everybody says I'm nuts ,it's to much work . How can u say your having fun ,I don't know I just love it . I can't explain it . But I think u all know.

Build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire you'll keep him warm the rest of his life.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

er, . . . . . or something like that.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box