Quote Originally Posted by DanBlue View Post
Well, we're about to sign up for the class in February! We just closed on our beautiful 8.6 acre lot in Florence NY (Tug Hill region, 40 miles north of Syracuse) a few weeks back, and now we are ready to get this started! We plan on a small 18x18 to start...bypassing any real need to bring a trailer on the land, etc...hopefully I can outsource the foundation pretty easily, and then secure the logs, build the walls and roof with some local help quickly, finish the inside, and be pretty much ready to start using the cabin come late summer.....I would assume safely that because this 18x18 size will make EVERYTHING a bit easier because the structure is pretty much the size of a free standing garage. The interior will be a basic open floor with a small loft.....Anyway, we are extremely excited!!!! We have a spring fed stream (year round) on the property, so I just need to get deal approved by the city codes, etc...we are right off of a county road with access to electric as well..I hope having electricity run to this structure won't be an issue...I've heard NY can be a code headache, although "upstate" is less of a headache for code I've heard....Looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks!
Great to hear, look forward to meeting you and others who have posted they are going, too! Congratulations on your property, and feel free to bless us with pics of that great property, please!!! Spring fed streams are wonderful, would like to see that! As for your plans for the 18 X 18, does your County allow 324 sq feet buildings to live in without a permit? Curious, as some areas allow this, but many don't. Ours allows us to build up to 400 sq ft, with the restriction from it being allowed to be lived in. The little cabin my Len is building, is not going to be lived in, but will be an outbuilding as we are legally now living in a mobile (we got it free). This is allowed to be done while building and then the mobile will need to be moved. There are some situations allowing it to remain. At this point, we plan on selling it when the time comes to move into our log home.