Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: First Class in 2015, any of you going?

Blog Entries
    Eric, I ditto what she said. Your heart is obviously in the right spot. It is a big head start to get your brain in the right spot so it can properly guide your wallet. You are way ahead of the game. Most folks think they want to build 3 months from now.

Take the class now. You won't regret it.

PS,,, Mrs. Len and I don't make a nickel from your admission fee. We are both living the dream for ourselves and in the middle of our prospective builds.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Hmmm, took me 4 years after the class to get debt free and property acquired, 6 years after to get utilities installed, and 8 years to begin work on the house. So, yea, 2~3 years out, definitely not too soon!
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

After many years of lurking, I'm going to the class!

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it. Welcome home.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

welcome Aden

Quote Originally Posted by Aden416 View Post
    After many years of lurking, I'm going to the class!
    Congratulations, look forward to seeing you there

Regular+ User
    Well, we're about to sign up for the class in February! We just closed on our beautiful 8.6 acre lot in Florence NY (Tug Hill region, 40 miles north of Syracuse) a few weeks back, and now we are ready to get this started! We plan on a small 18x18 to start...bypassing any real need to bring a trailer on the land, etc...hopefully I can outsource the foundation pretty easily, and then secure the logs, build the walls and roof with some local help quickly, finish the inside, and be pretty much ready to start using the cabin come late summer.....I would assume safely that because this 18x18 size will make EVERYTHING a bit easier because the structure is pretty much the size of a free standing garage. The interior will be a basic open floor with a small loft.....Anyway, we are extremely excited!!!! We have a spring fed stream (year round) on the property, so I just need to get deal approved by the city codes, etc...we are right off of a county road with access to electric as well..I hope having electricity run to this structure won't be an issue...I've heard NY can be a code headache, although "upstate" is less of a headache for code I've heard....Looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks!

congratulations on taking the plunge, Dan!!! welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by DanBlue View Post
    Well, we're about to sign up for the class in February! We just closed on our beautiful 8.6 acre lot in Florence NY (Tug Hill region, 40 miles north of Syracuse) a few weeks back, and now we are ready to get this started! We plan on a small 18x18 to start...bypassing any real need to bring a trailer on the land, etc...hopefully I can outsource the foundation pretty easily, and then secure the logs, build the walls and roof with some local help quickly, finish the inside, and be pretty much ready to start using the cabin come late summer.....I would assume safely that because this 18x18 size will make EVERYTHING a bit easier because the structure is pretty much the size of a free standing garage. The interior will be a basic open floor with a small loft.....Anyway, we are extremely excited!!!! We have a spring fed stream (year round) on the property, so I just need to get deal approved by the city codes, etc...we are right off of a county road with access to electric as well..I hope having electricity run to this structure won't be an issue...I've heard NY can be a code headache, although "upstate" is less of a headache for code I've heard....Looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks!
    Great to hear, look forward to meeting you and others who have posted they are going, too! Congratulations on your property, and feel free to bless us with pics of that great property, please!!! Spring fed streams are wonderful, would like to see that! As for your plans for the 18 X 18, does your County allow 324 sq feet buildings to live in without a permit? Curious, as some areas allow this, but many don't. Ours allows us to build up to 400 sq ft, with the restriction from it being allowed to be lived in. The little cabin my Len is building, is not going to be lived in, but will be an outbuilding as we are legally now living in a mobile (we got it free). This is allowed to be done while building and then the mobile will need to be moved. There are some situations allowing it to remain. At this point, we plan on selling it when the time comes to move into our log home.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Len View Post
    Great to hear, look forward to meeting you and others who have posted they are going, too! Congratulations on your property, and feel free to bless us with pics of that great property, please!!! Spring fed streams are wonderful, would like to see that! As for your plans for the 18 X 18, does your County allow 324 sq feet buildings to live in without a permit? Curious, as some areas allow this, but many don't. Ours allows us to build up to 400 sq ft, with the restriction from it being allowed to be lived in. The little cabin my Len is building, is not going to be lived in, but will be an outbuilding as we are legally now living in a mobile (we got it free). This is allowed to be done while building and then the mobile will need to be moved. There are some situations allowing it to remain. At this point, we plan on selling it when the time comes to move into our log home.
    Thank you for the message Mrs. Len. In the Tug Hill region, there is local consideration "on the books" that's pretty creative concerning "hunting cabins" or "seasonal dwellings" This "Western Adirondacks" region of NY has a long, well established history of small camps, cabins, and lodges...

I am certain an 18x18 can be "lived in" seasonally...seasonally is a term used loosely up in our area, so I'm sure we could live in the structure year round, but I would guess since it's so small, I could not take advantage of having phone and electric run to it as it is a "seasonal cabin" used for ""recreation"

We would love to be able to build an 18x18 cabin and have electric run to it, and plumbing installed using the well we plan to drill etc...but I don't know if this is possible...

I've placed a call into the code fellow there for the city of Florence (this is the city where our land is) and I'm just awaiting a call back.

If anyone has any info on this subject, it is greatly appreciated!