Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello, found this forum when searching for ways to build a log cabin that wont cost me 200k. Anyways I am planning on taking a class, hopefully next year.

I got some questions:

1. How far in advance are the classes posted? With my schedule and work requirements I need a good advance to take enough days off to travel (especially if classes are out west)

2. I live in South Carolina, so Pines are the #1 tree around here. Can log homes be built with Pine?

3. Any good books or magazines anyone recommends for log home buyers, builders, etc?

thanks

Pine is a fine wood to build with, I built a home out of white pine three weeks ago, just finished rafters on one today out of Poplar. Have you read ad Dick Proenekes "Alone in the Wilderness"? It's a good mindset book.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

How far back were you active USMC? Dunno how long it'll last, but they were offering free classes to service members...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Hello USMCKoontz, where in SC??? We're in Rock Hill presently. We have land up near Lake Lure. That's the location of our build. Haven't really broken ground yet but we'll make some progress in the near future. Happy to share ideas and thoughts with any questions you may have.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dan,
    Long time no hear/see!!

Hey USMC greetings from up the mountain in Asheville Where in SC are you? The class is awesome I just went back on Memorial Day also had work schedule issues. You can sign up to be notified when the classes will happen that is how I got in. It does work sometimes it can be short notice other times a bit more. I am planning on using white pine and poplar for my build. Welcome aboard this is going to be fun. enjoy

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Hey Dan,
    Long time no hear/see!!
    Yes Cindy!! I'm still here just haven't been doing much lately. Life happens sometimes! Miss you all!! Don't want to hijack this one but your build is coming along SWEETLY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    How far back were you active USMC? Dunno how long it'll last, but they were offering free classes to service members...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner
    2001-2005 I served

Quote Originally Posted by LogHomeFeverDan View Post
    Hello USMCKoontz, where in SC??? We're in Rock Hill presently. We have land up near Lake Lure. That's the location of our build. Haven't really broken ground yet but we'll make some progress in the near future. Happy to share ideas and thoughts with any questions you may have.
    thanks! that would be great.. I live in the southern part of the state near Barnwell, SC. Not far from Augusta, GA.

Blog Entries
    USMC --Semper Fi.

There are a few of us out here lurking. You're in good hands here.
    I took the class in 1999. Well worth it.
    Been gathering tools and info for 14 years.
    Just roofed the play house for the kids and need to chink it. -- Life happens.
    Welcome aboard

USMC 1980-1986
    JD