Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Did You Spend On Your Log Home?

Question How Much Did You Spend On Your Log Home?

We are registered for the Aug. 30 class but it looks like I can't get into the members area until after the class so I will have to ask my question here and hope it can be answered.

We need an idea of what it will cost to complete our 36x36 home. I know there are a zillon options. I am simply asking what you paid to build your home. Whatever your configuration was. The land, basement, logs, roof, wiring, garage, drive way, drilling a well, septic, bringing power, water, etc. If anyone here has built a log home I sincerely ask you to simply let me know what the total cost was, what you did and how long it took you from start to finish.

Your help is more appreciated than I can express.

Thank you

How Much Did You Spend On Your Log Home?

Every build is different, location- fanciness, type of basement, etc. those that are willing to post their full cost breakdown only do it on the members side. Happy to share mine, but to the whole WWW, no thx
    Last edited by WNYcabinplannin; 07-11-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: iphone spell mistake

Quote Originally Posted by WNYcabinplannin View Post
    Every build is different, location- fanciness, type of basement, etc. those that are willing to post their full cost breakdown only do it on the members side. Happy to share mine, but to the whole WWW, no thx
    I seems like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Not being able to register for the members area because we haven't attended the class yet. Maybe a good solution would be for anyone to private message me. We are just looking for your experience so we have an rough idea what we might expect.

Thank you in advance everyone for helping us out. Please feel free to send a private message.

I had intentions to keep track of all my cost and started a spread sheet that lasted for the first few months. Now several years later and about 1/2 done I have no idea what I have spent. I am guessing most members also have no idea what it cost them including everything. very difficult for most of us to answer.
    Permits alone cost me $8,000.

Exactly, so many reasons why this isn't a standard question..... Permits for us were less than $500....
    You'll get more info on the members side.... Patience
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Most people spend somewhere between 50k-250k. Depending on where, how big, how much they build themselves vs. Hire out(sometimes it's cheaper to hire out) log costs, etc. If I had to guess I would say the average for a 35x35 is 150k.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btwalls View Post
    I had intentions to keep track of all my cost and started a spread sheet that lasted for the first few months. Now several years later and about 1/2 done I have no idea what I have spent. I am guessing most members also have no idea what it cost them including everything. very difficult for most of us to answer.
    Permits alone cost me $8,000.
    That's a good point. I had intended to track carefully, too, but odds are high I'd lose track. So having read your post, I just decided I'll dedicate my new checking account to my log home. Huntington Bank just offered me $100 to open an account, so I took it. All spending from there will be strictly for the log home, and money into it will be large round numbers, to help simplify.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    That is a great idea for anyone new starting. I believe that is the only way we would have possibly been able to keep any kind of accurate track. Even then you will find it hard to be accurate because of time, travel, fuel, wear and tear on equipment ect.

Cost accounting for your project can also include tools and fuel. I found that visits to my property 80 miles away became fewer because of the rise in the cost of gasoline. Also, I spent quite a bit of money collecting tools like framing nailers, battery operated power tools, chainsaws, compressor, brush clearing equipment, an old travel trailer to stay in out there, etc, etc. Do you roll that into total cost?

I think once you attend the class, the how-to portion of building a house, then you can focus on what YOU want. One acre or fifty? Steep gable or shed roof? After the class, you can then focus on the rest of the details that YOU need to make yourself happy.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralsands View Post
    One acre or fifty? Steep gable or shed roof? After the class, you can then focus on the rest of the details that YOU need to make yourself happy.
    Indeed. I did a shed roof, 24x24. That's about as big as you will want on a shed roof. For the record, spent around 80 k, half of which was on helpers and gas, the 7 hr trip got spendy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner