Thread: Purchase land?

Purchase land?

Hi everyone,
    I'm signed up for the class in August in Las Vegas. I'm taking two weeks off in July and fishing up North in Montana and Idaho. If I find a property that I think is awesome and fits the budget, should I pull the trigger or wait until after the class... (I get I shouldn't buy materials, etc... Until after the class)
    Thanks,
    Matt

Blog Entries
    Unless you really are the incredibly luckiest guy in the world the right land will be there a month or two later. Personally I wouldn't want to trust my first impression on a location. Go back in the middle of mosquito season.

There is a lot of land sold on the Oregon coast in that three week period when the birds are chirping and the flowers are blooming.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

My thought is to wait. Land will still be there and who know what you'll learn or how plans will change with the class

I'd say go for it. If it has a good build site and perks.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Thanks guys!

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Just be sure to check out what big brother will want from you to let you build on your property. Just found out that in our county here in rural TN you now have to build any and all residential properties within a subdivision. A friend who is just starting to build on the farm that has been in his family since 1800's has had to name it and pay tax and permits as a subdivision and get a right of way through his own land to his build site and put all utilities in that r-o-w. Some how in the letter of the law it just assumed but did not state that the drive had to be in the r-o-w so he his building a curving, meandering drive way through the farm to his site. I bet they will give him a fit about that.

Put in an offer with some kind of contingency that could get your out of the deal if you change your mind. While your offer is 'pending' he wont be able to sell it to anyone else.

Excellent! Thanks everyone!

Last bit of advice is what others have mentioned in the past with these exact questions:

You'll learn a few preferred key requirements for land in class that you don't want to miss. I know I wanted several acres of land before class. But my entire vision changed during class as those key points were mentioned.

If you must buy, just be sure it is at least 2 or 3 acres (they will explain in class why this is minimal). You don't want it small like some others made the mistake of buying before taking class.

And while many have done it on gentle grades, it does make it much harder if you go the non-machinery route in stacking the logs (you'll learn Skip's infamous lifting system in class - that alone makes you feel like you can go to a 3rd world country and build a log home!).

If you find a piece like that, or larger, go for it.

Lastly, once you take the class you gain access to the Members section where almost every guy that posted above gave me great advice on different land selections we thinking about. Sure glad I passed on all those pieces as you will find the right piece in time.

I know it took us almost 3 years to find the right land here in NY after I took the class. Of course, it is NY with sky high prices, and everything just as dense around it. But we stole it for a fraction in price.
    Last edited by eduncan911; 06-28-2014 at 05:16 AM.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly