Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a dump truck helpful for building?

Is a dump truck helpful for building?

...I do believe it is.

Especially since the cost of delivery up here is pretty astronomical. $6.36 a ton for road base, or $6.36 for base, and another ~$50 for delivery.

Nuts to that, we said.

truck 1.jpgtruck 3.jpg

1965 International 210D 4WD, 6-7 yard bed, and a 10 foot plow blade.

Of course, it doubles as a snow plow, which is sort of a big deal for our property. I think this truck can plow through a few feet of snow going up our hill, if we were so inclined!

Very pleased with it so far. I haven't done any hauling with it yet, but I drove it home (sometimes even a highway speed) and it's been up and around on the property tinkering, just trying to figure out what the most pressing jobs are for it, and what maintenance I might want to do before we get too busy during the summer.

By my math, the truck will have paid for itself on the 11th or 12th load of base or gravel.

Dan

PS--to the other Clear Creek residents here, don't hesitate to ask if you need a load of stuff hauled in it

How can a dump truck not be helpful. A dump truck is near the top of my "want really bad" list. That and a little excavator that fits in the bed.

Cool truck, I'm sure it's been around long enough to have a name. ;-{>8

A dump truck was about the first thing I bought. Can't even begin to count how many loads of road base I hauled for my drive. Paid for itself in less than 6 months.

Blog Entries
    That ole Cornbinder was running way back when I was a truck driver! Good lookin ole truck. What engine and trans?

A fellow could put a winch on the front of it and make up a log A frame boom and you wouldn't need a telehandler. The right boom setup could be taken off or put back on in 15 minutes.

There are ways of using the bed hydraulics to raise and lower the boom but you almost need a death wish to run it.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    That ole Cornbinder was running way back when I was a truck driver! Good lookin ole truck. What engine and trans?
    Cummins NH-180 that CDOT installed a turbo on long ago, and a 10 Speed Road Ranger.

A fellow could put a winch on the front of it and make up a log A frame boom and you wouldn't need a telehandler. The right boom setup could be taken off or put back on in 15 minutes.

There are ways of using the bed hydraulics to raise and lower the boom but you almost need a death wish to run it.
    ...I was thinking exactly the same. In fact, it's got a wet kit and unused set of hydraulics already, so really it would be just welding together the boom, and attaching my spare winch (because I'm the kind of guy who just happens to have an unused Ramsey 8000 sitting around, because it was a good deal at one time or another)....

I'm going to have to do some thinking. Because if I can get this truck to do the lifting (instead of buying a crane or telehandler) then that equals savings, right? Besides, I keep winning crane auctions on Ironplanet, but never hit the reserve. Someday that guy in Wyoming is going to realize that I'm the only game in town for his P&H... Much easier to just get it done with the truck, since one of those things should be useful once the house is built, and the other one would just be incredibly cool, but mostly useless.

Dan

Blog Entries
    I'll bet you paid less than the plow is worth. Does it start up OK without ether?

I see the demise of our dependence on the telehandler and the emergence of the LHBA boom truck era.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I'll bet you paid less than the plow is worth. Does it start up OK without ether?
    Yep. At least so far, I'm sure in the winter it will need a cocktail to get going. It's got a quick start ether system installed though, which is pretty slick (an ether can with a manual valve that shoots it into the intake) so we won't have to carry around loose cans of ether on the cold mornings.

I see the demise of our dependence on the telehandler and the emergence of the LHBA boom truck era.
    I like the idea of the crane mostly because it can stay in one spot and lift everything onto the house, as opposed to driving all around it lifting logs (like this truck with a gin pole, or a tele handler would require). But in the end I like saving money more, so if I can figure out a solid gin pole for the front of this thing, then I'm thinking we will do that.

Dan

Blog Entries
    A thousand years ago I was on the road, driving another fellows tractor-trailer rig. It was the middle of Texas winter so all the windows were rolled up. He had all kinds of junk rolling around in the cab and I hit one of those potholes that really bottom out an air seat and caught a full can of ether under the seat and popped a big hole in it. You know, it doesn't take long to stop one of those trucks when you're motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    I'm sure in the winter it will need a cocktail to get going.
    It sounds like your truck may have a drinking problem.