Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Curious - How many acres?

Just Curious - How many acres?

I search the internet for land, and was just curious how many acres people are planning to build on. I keep thinking absolute minimum 10, except if I can find a nice, cheap lake plot of 5. Would love 40+, but start getting into big dollars. Any thoughts anybody?

Usually limited by $$ available

Out first lot was only 2.7 acres.

Next one planning at least 10.
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    We have 6 acres with Govt. land on 2 sides. It's not bad and only 7 minutes to town... 35 minutes to the Muffin Store.

For 10 years before we bought this place, I lived rent free on 140 acres that was 1-1/2 miles to the nearest neighbor. That was a hard act to follow but I couldn't afford to own the place.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

I have 5.5 acres with 50+ 100 ft pines and many hard woods one guy Owens 350 acres next to me uses for hunt club very secluded. I'm trying to get another five acres so I can have farm status for tax purpose . 15 min to nearest town.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    I have 26 acres, I made sure it was big enough so I couldn't see or hear my neighbors. I can see one but I loved the property so we went for it.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I have 5.5 acres with 50+ 100 ft pines and many hard woods one guy Owens 350 acres next to me uses for hunt club very secluded. I'm trying to get another five acres so I can have farm status for tax purpose . 15 min to nearest town.
    What's the deal with farm status?

Different zoning equals different tax rates and regulations.

IMO, you just have to look at the actual acres. I live on 200 acres of prairie with a neighbor on 120. I am pretty well in the center of my property and the neighbor looks like right next door. One can hear the dogs and roosters. I have seen five acre pieces in the woods and hills that feel very private.

We have 40 acres that all wooded. We are building right in the middle. It's quiet, but that's relative. It's so quiet that we can hear a vehicle coming down the road about 2 miles away.
    Actually we are trying to locate the owner of the 40 acre parcel next to us to see if they are willing to sell. After a couple years, the original 40 don't look so big anymore.

It all really depends on what you're after. You could probably get away with an acre if the site was right and had enough room to work. You can take privacy and seclusion as far as you like, but I think it gets old after a while when you're too far out in the sticks, unless that's your thing. I did it for a while in Montana / Wyoming, and its really nice, but takes lots of work and planning. When you need something and the store is 2 hrs round trip it can be frustrating.

I've found I really like being close to town, while still able to do just about anything without bothering my neighbors. I have 7.5 acres bordered by national forest on two sides, and roads on the other two, and I think its plenty. I might think otherwise if the public land wasnt there. I do hear cars, but it doesn't bother me, because the town is only 5 minutes away.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    We started out in about 1995 looking for 5-10 acres out in the middle of the national forest somewhere.
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 04-07-2014 at 02:45 AM.