Thread: Pole barn for logs: questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville

Pole barn for logs: questions

I know this is really not the place for this but I am going to build a pole barn first to store my logs in for the house, as well as equipment, which will be used as a shop later. If anyone has done this here already maybe you can help. I plan on the size of 32 x 50. That way if I put a door on each end with a couple doors on one side I can pull the logs in with the tractor, drop them, out the other gable end and then come at them from the side to stack them. Does this sound like a good plan?
    Also, a quick question on the poles: would it be better to drop the poles in past the frost line or build a pier and attach a bracket on top for the poles? To me it sounds weaker to have the bracket but the thought of wood in the ground , even though treated, is not good either. Thanks for any input.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Using roof trusses is the easiest way to make an open floorplan. Sinking the poles five feet in the ground will make the structure very stable. Much better than a pier connection, but a risk of rotting out your posts. (I pour used motor oil around my posts)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Many power companies offer old power poles for free or cheap. Seems to me they would be ideal. That is what I plan on using.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

How long can a used telephone pole last in the ground? In a fairly wet/humid climate say?

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Rod: do you pour that oil on after they are set? They do make plastic sleeves which I looked at.
    I checked with the code inspector: over 1500 sq ft I need engineered prints. NO power poles, they are worried about the old chemicals in the ground, just garbage... the poles were my first choice but got shot down.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Eagle, that's hilarious. Millions of tele poles in use, but you can't reuse a couple dozen.

I oiled after they were set. Rot only occurs on poles very near the grade line, and that is the only place I oil. The old creosote treated poles on there own will last a very long time, even laying on the ground. Reoiling assures that rot doesn't get a toehold in that risked area.

I got my poles for $25 a piece.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Any idea on how good the green copper stuff works for preserving poles,I haven't been able to find any cheap power poles but I have a lot of Cedar trees

I heard of couple of tricks like that. One of them is to put the end into a fire and burn thin layer of the log around, to sort of "sterilize" it. Green cooper thing for fence posts works too,'but it's toxic.