Thread: solar tube?

solar tube?

So, I think I might make a reading bench in the spare bedroom closet. It is on the shaded side of a 4/12 roof, maybe 10 ft from the ridge. How is the best way to get natural light in there?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    So, I think I might make a reading bench in the spare bedroom closet. It is on the shaded side of a 4/12 roof, maybe 10 ft from the ridge. How is the best way to get natural light in there?

Peter
    I don't necessarily know about "the best" way to get light in there, but the solar tubes are awesome. The house I grew up in was always kind of dark in the living room... now that it's got a solar tube it's as bright as the green house (which is literally a room built of windows, wood beams, and some small stone wall sections).

If I wanted to brighten up a room during the day, I'd look first at a solar tube. They can snake around through the ceiling if need be (although the two I've seen installed didn't have to)

Dan

Blog Entries
    Trapper ---
    I actually LOL'd.

Cheap. Free. DIY.

LHBA Member
    Yeah just what I'd want in my house a bunch of soda bottles sticking through the roof,lets all sing along M I C K Y M O U S E !!!

Blog Entries
    What do rodents and big ears have to do with this discussion? Smile
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

I added 4 solar tubes to my house last year. Well worth the money. You can even tell when clouds pass by overhead. It even works with moonlight.

If anyone is still looking at this thread, solar tubes are excellent!

I personally prefer skylights, but obviously that cannot work in all circumstances. Skylights also require a substantial amount of methodical work to properly install/flash (well more than half of skylights I see are improperly installed).
    Solar rubes are more expensive to purchase, but much simpler to install, and are more versatile.

I recommend VELUX. If you have no roofing experience, don't install a skylight. ESPECIALLY if you have a metal roof. Most roofers who specialize in metal roofs screw up on skylights. Leaky skylights are NOT an inevitability, they can function perfectly.

DIYers, go VELUX solartube.