Okay, just bought this stick frame house in November. Moved in in December. Was gone the entire month of January (during which time it was so cold that ice cubes were starting warming fires). During January there were a couple large snows and tons of ice.
So, dam it, I have ice dams. And the snow is melting. And the water is coming in our house. And we have guests coming from Canada and staying here in a little over a week. And I feel like we're screwed, but I'm really trying really hard to be optimistic, but this problem is setting a new standard for my optimistic self.
Do I think the insurance company will cover it? Sure! Do I think it'll be fixed before our guests get here. Snowba- errr, icicle's chance in hell. Do I think it'll be fixed before our baby is due in April (we want a home birth)? Possibly (I dunno)?
Home ownership should be a course in high school and required.
On the upside, I am SOOOOOOO glad this happened in my first (project) home than my log (dream) home and I am equally glad that I get to learn this lesson on a home I didn't build with my own blood, sweat, and tears.

So, those of you who have built your log homes, as this problem is caused (at least in this house) by poor to non-existant attic ventilation and waaaaayyyyyy not enough attic insulation (and me not knowing that a roof rake is not an optional piece of equipment), what have you all done to mitigate this problem in your own dream homes that you've built with your blood, sweat, and tears?