Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you build a LHBA home on a monolithic concrete slab?

Blog Entries
    Pinky,

Your phone # just went out to a ton of good and bad people. You oughta edit it out. After class you'll be on the private side and it's safe there.

And if you're going to class, don't commit to any logs. Consider everything you do right now as investigation and inspiration. The same, or better, deal will be there after class and your timeline may change as you do.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Pinky,

Your phone # just went out to a ton of good and bad people. You oughta edit it out. After class you'll be on the private side and it's safe there.

And if you're going to class, don't commit to any logs. Consider everything you do right now as investigation and inspiration. The same, or better, deal will be there after class and your timeline may change as you do.
    Hey longhouse nut. Can u tell me how to edit out my phone number?

Go to your post, there is a "Edit Post" button to the lower right of your post.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissy Pink View Post
    Hey longhouse nut. Can u tell me how to edit out my phone number?
    Nope... But Rod can.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

.....and admin took care of it already anyhow.

I just remembered, I don't think regular users can edit posts.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    .....and admin took care of it already anyhow.

I just remembered, I don't think regular users can edit posts.

Well I did it anyway (edited my post) so no one else can call me. And while Im here what do youguys think of getting 12" tulip poplar logs for about $2.00 a linear foot and peeling them and using the bark to make siding for the dormers and part of the garage? The poplar bark is supposed to last about a 100 years. Did you learn anything about that in class? Oh and by the way, my husband and I took the plunge and got signed up for the March class. We are so excited about it. And Blondie I'm not spending another dime till after the class is over.

I sure do appreciate you guys advice. That plus looking at some of the houses going up in pictures was very convincing. Can't wait till class.

Poplar has been used by some here. A little more work due to relative hardness compared to conifers, but it has an amazing texture when peeled. Don't know if you'll successfully peel it in perfect sheets to use as siding. Is 12" the top measurement, or at the butt? My personal cuttoff is 12" tops, preferably 14+.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Poplar has been used by some here. A little more work due to relative hardness compared to conifers, but it has an amazing texture when peeled. Don't know if you'll successfully peel it in perfect sheets to use as siding. Is 12" the top measurement, or at the butt? My personal cuttoff is 12" tops, preferably 14+.
    I don't know yet about the top measurement of the logs. We haven't gotten to see them yet.

The poplar log peeling is supposed to be very easy if you harvest them in spring or early summer according to the logger that we talked to around here. I'll wait to buy anything till after class. I got my flight and hotel booked today. So excited.

Logger is correct about peeling, but he failed to mention that the tree will be filled with sap/water and be supper heavy. The water is not the issue, the issue is when this tree is trying to dry it will check tremendously. Poplar splits little more than usual anyways, cutting it in a summer will only potentiate it (?spelling). Great idea on waiting to do anything before you take the class.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanshayka View Post
    Logger is correct about peeling, but he failed to mention that the tree will be filled with sap/water and be supper heavy. The water is not the issue, the issue is when this tree is trying to dry it will check tremendously. Poplar splits little more than usual anyways, cutting it in a summer will only potentiate it (?spelling). Great idea on waiting to do anything before you take the class.
    I think you mean potatoate... Has something to do with the Cambrian layer that happened about 840,000,000 years ago.

I say peel em in the winter too, but I've never done anything with poplar except firewood.