Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can you build a LHBA home on a monolithic concrete slab?

Starting to feel like a Dan Quayle skit.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I thought he was a politician

So did he.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I built with poplar, cut in Nov tried peeling right away, and they laughed at me ( the bark that is) came back in april peeling was much easier, not sure about full sheets but I had 30 ft pieces, here a pic of the texture which I love, large overhangs, and Skip says use what you got, i cut mine on the property.

Woodinville WA / still have a home in Anchorage Alaska
    Whew! Wow - I was reading through this thread and it felt like watching a train-wreck, in slow motion! I was cringing at the thought that the Pinks were putting the cart before the horse by going out to buy logs, pour slab, et cetera -- without benefit of having taken the class (Don't Look!!! ).

Then the "Whew" factor kicked in when I saw Pink-post, indicating she/he/they, were enrolled in class! (Wow! That was a close-call).

Pinks: I'll echo -- and add -- that the cost of the class will pay for itself MANY times over, along the entire process of your build! Even if you do NOT build LHBA/Butt-n-Pass, you will gain knowledge (wisdom), that will help you all along the way. And then there's the access to the resources (and characters), on this Forum -- especially on the Members side -- along with solicited (and UnSolicited) advice for every step along the way (as you no doubt have gotten a taste of in this-here thread). Oh! And then toss in the Labor resources gained! Many of us (myself included), tend to help other members with their Log Home builds, which is a Win-Win. The builder gets "free" labor (only cost to builder is usually Grub, sometimes Suds : ) and conversely, potentially, there's the availability of member-help on yours, when you decide to build (Grub/Suds cost may still apply). And don't even get me started on the resources here by Professional Engineer members, actual Full-Time / no-kidding / Real-Deal member(s) that build as a full-time profession, whose talents can be drawn upon / hired, at various critical stages of your build.

In short, You have stumbled upon a Life-Altering web resource. Take the class, join the LHBA and you will understand and wonder.... "What on Earth was I thinking???" Welcome Mr/Mrs Pink! Enjoy the adventure!

Chas

Blog Entries
    For the second time today I have had to ditto what Chas has to say. Just plain ole ditto. Go back and reread his post and put the LHN stamp on it.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    About that poplar, Yes a dream to peel in the spring, and is beautiful, late summer/fall not so much. We were going to use them for girders, tried for about 5 minutes to peel one, couldn't even get to the wood on 2 inches, went and told him I couldn't peel it. He came and spent about 5 minutes trying to get the spud through to the wood. We put it on the mill and made 6"x 8" beams out of it for the second floor joist.

Thanks to everyone who posted above. We have our poplar logs. About 55 at 42 feet long. Went to the class in March. It was very informative. The basement is going to be poured this week or next. I will try to attach a picture later.

wow. thanks for the update. so glad you're moving forward. can you post some pic's?? Whoo Hooo!

Go to Wheres Prissy Pink? I'm posting pics there.