Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about bugs?

We'll I am in the South myself and have seen spiders in every house I have ever owned but I must admit I have killed three of the largest spiders I have ever seen in my life since moving in. But we also live in the most rural place we have ever lived. In my opinion the most woriusm thing are the bees that seem to to find their way in in the winter. It all seems to come with the dream. My wife and little ones have learned to love it all.

Regular+ User
    Are they bore bees?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    Are they bore bees?
    Sorry Smug, only one query per lurker. You'll have to reregister under a different user name.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Sorry Smug, only one query per lurker. You'll have to reregister under a different user name.
    Just funnin' with ya Smugster.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Just funnin' with ya Smugster.
    Smugster, I love it! lol

Blog Entries
    The people that have spider problems in a log home have the same problem in a stick built house. Spiders go where insects are. There is no reason why a log home isn't as clean and bug free as any other type of housing. Even a converted bus can be spider free.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    To me this is really an easy topic... Spiders go where there are bugs, both flying and others...
    Bugs are attracted to food... One of the best foods is fungus, mold and the like... IOW's, wood and water in our case.
    We build log homes that are water tight with large overhangs. I have treated my logs with borates which will eliminate most of the foods that bugs like. I have had spiders in my log home, but all of them were trying to catch flying bugs... They were high and around my sky lights. Even the spider webs outside my home are far and few between. I have more spiders in my fruit trees than on my log home...

So if you eliminate the bug foods, you eliminate the bugs and hence the spiders.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

LHBA Member
    The most spiders I have ever seen (and by far the biggest, but that is probably just due to the species found in this area) are in the stone home I am in right now. They build webs near windows and catch the flies, etc. who are attracted to the light. Again, it's where the flying insects are that you'll find the spiders. Part of why we see them here is that we are only here half of the year and they tend to take over when we are gone and are not controlling the insect population. Maybe many log homes in people's experience are vacation homes and so not cleaned for months at a time. When we arrive here the first few days are spent vacuuming spiders... then no problem until we leave the place empty again.

We have some wasps that find their way in in the winter. The wood boring bees are minimal in the summer but they requir some Atention,

Regular+ User
    Thanks everyone! I told her I would get some good info on here. Hope to take the class someday. In the meantime I have been reading a lot of threads on here and trying to learn all I can to prepare myself.