Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about bugs?

Regular+ User

What about bugs?

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and have always dreamed of building a log home/cabin. I am a newly wed and have a wife who is deathly afraid of spiders. An ex-coworker of hers once told her that their log home was littered with spiders as though they were attracted to the wood. I wondered if there was any truth to this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is true my dreams might get shattered cause she would never live in a log home. If it is any help I live in WV. Most commonly we have a lot of wolf spiders in this area. (least that's what we call them). Any facts ya'll could give from personally living in a log home and having insect problems in general would be great. Thanks in advance!

LHBA Member
    It probably has more to do with most people build a log cabin in the woods there are spiders in the woods,I don't see a real difference I get a spider once in a while in my cabin and I got a spider once in awhile when I lived in town

LHBA Member
    Oh and another thing you'll find out that when you tell people you want a log cabin they turn into experts in the field but after some research you'll find out they really know nothing

Regular+ User
    Yes I have noticed all the "experts" out there as well as naysayers! The LHBA seems to me to be the most informative and helpful that is why I joined the forum. Hopefully take the class one day and become a member.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    I have not lived in one yet but I had someone tell me they had a lot of spiders as well. I don't see why it would be any different than any other home except te location like mentioned. I could see if your wood was wet or rotting maybe would attract bugs but not the case here. I would be interested in other peoples views who already live in their home.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Blog Entries
    Only way you can raise a good crop of spiders is to have a good crop of bugs for the spiders to eat. There oughta be the same number of flying bugs in a well built log home as in a stick house or a trailer house. As for creepy crawly bugs in the logs or in the rest of the house, I think it would be rather minimal either way. I'd think there would be more crawly spider food under shiplap siding than in log walls. If you build a log home that is going to rot, that might invite the wrong kind of spider food but that's not the goal here at LHBA.

My Wife would tell your Wife not to worry about a LHBA house full of spiders.

Dust is another matter. Every log is a shelf
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

I think the rumor comes from the seeing spiders in woodpiles and stacked firewood, and people just automatically associate firewood and log homes. The reality is, spiders like nooks and crannies no matter what the material. Also, like lilbluehonda says, log homes are usually found in more rural settings, lending itself to the impression it attracts spiders. I always have a few tiny spiders in the RV I'm living in, in the woods right now. And the woodpile and deck have a few wolf spiders living in them. I don't think it matters what type a place you build, if you build it in the environment favoring to spiders.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    We have plenty of spiders around and in our framed home. I once saw an expert on spiders doing a seminar, she said other than the antarctic or the worst deserts you will never be more than six feet from a spider, see them or not. I don't know if that is true but there are a few spiders no matter where I go. I have a 40 yo son that would sho0t a spider with a pistol or rifle rather than get close to it. The kids have to kill the spiders. He will catch and handle the snakes.

Where at in WV are you? I grew up near Huntington and have built a couple homes in WV. I live in Roanoke VA, basically the same climate in a log home and don't have spiders. There's a few in the basement but I only see them dead.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Regular+ User
    Thanks for all the replies. I am in the Parkersburg area rckclmbr. I thought maybe the large amount of spiders she saw might have meant it was a kit home or poor craftsmanship.