Thread: How to heat a small bedroom or office on 8 cents a day.

How to heat a small bedroom or office on 8 cents a day.

Hey,

Check this out!

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...ea-lights.html

I guess it depends on how much you have to pay for candles.

Blondie
    Last edited by Blondie; 01-08-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    It could definitely work if the room was small and well insulated. Say about the size of one of those British phone booths. I suppose you'd have to hang like a bat to get any sleep.

It's all about BTU's.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

I wonder how it works if it is -50 degrees outside.......

Blondie

Yea, the latest craze. (didn't watch the video, but seen enough of them on YouTube already) Like LHN says, it's all about BTUs.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Okay, I read all this on the internet, so you know it has to be true. Ball park planning for a furnace, use 10,000 btus per room. Fair enough for arguments sake. BTUs per candle is a large range, it's almost like how much does it cost to build a log house. It depends. HOWEVER, 400 BTUs per candle is somewhere in the range. So four of them, 1,600 BTUs, on a not very cold day could make SOME difference. Since the heat is trapped and radiated instead of going straight up, it's more efficient. Still, not much good on a cold day.
    I'm sure the inspector would pass your house if you said, "I didn't put in a furnace, but don't worry, I'VE GOT CANDLES!!"

Somewhat related ... friend in 'burb of St Paul built a super tight and insulated "tiny house" - roughly 288 sf - uses as writing room/studio. He doesn't go in - out that much when using it and it does sit empty and closed up for days on end but - he was showing off his gas bill for 29 day cycle and it was $13.88. THIRTEEN DOLLARS and change. Extremely cold cycle that was - mine, which consisted of lesser cold period at that making me truly dread the next one, was $433 and a penny. And our too was closed up for 12 straight days and set at 60.
    and I thought I had tightened up and super insulated my place over past few years.....sigh

LHBA Member
    Gotta say this is a fire waiting to happen. Seems pretty well contained until a pet or a child knocks it over. Or someone who doesn't know there is a fire in there sets something on top of it. And I'm still trying to figure out why he thinks this is a good idea to set this on top of a magazine and right up next to a wood-trimmed mirror.....
    Last edited by Plumb Level; 01-10-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

Blog Entries
    Plumb,

Perhaps the point is the heat will be coming once the real fuel starts to glow. <smile>
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Good point Ed! Now that one posted by oldtrapper looks pretty nice.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut