Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I d

Blog Entries
    My Grandad never heated his barn. True, he spent most of his days here in southern Oregon where the weather is more reasonable than other, less hospitable, parts of the country. He had several hay barns and an old milk barn (leftover from his dairy days) and one feed barn that was always available to the livestock. The cattle and horses kinda found their favorite places to go in the coldest weather and sometimes it was in the feed barn but mostly it was out wandering around wherever they wanted to go. I don't remember him ever loosing an animal to the winter weather.

Normal winter climate here is fairly wet, some snow, a week or four below freezing and the occasional week or two below zero.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    I can understand where in populated areas this might be a concern. But to regulate the entire country to these standards is ridiculous! 90 days to comment to the EPA should be on the "to do" list for everyone of us.... Besides writing ALL of your local Congress reps on both sides of the isle...

Maybe we should push to "outlaw" forest fires???

Blog Entries
    Hey--if they're dumb enough to outlaw wood heaters, they're dumb enough to outlaw Camp fires.
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    William Wallace

Everything in life is luck.
    Donald Trump

If your goal is wealth, you will die a poor man.

They already do, on occasion. What's to say a permanent burn ban couldn't be put in place. It would be in the gov't's best interest to do so, since wood is a fuel resource they don't have any control over, nor tax revenue from.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I need to start stealthing my chimney pipes before the Wood Police see my only source of heat from GPS and Earth Google images.

Last year a neighbor got popped by the County Monkeys for having an unpermitted shelter (his home). When the owner asked how they knew about it the county ASSessor said we viewed it from an online satellite camera. He didn't get a warning from the county or the chance to get permits...they told him to take it down, asap. he had no choice. Mind ya, we live in the boonies, very rural and yet this stuff goes on here.

The trick is to build on wheels, make it "movable."

I've though about building my home of two large trailer beds lines up next to each other and supported by piers.

They need to outlaw forest fires!
    Last edited by Kola; 01-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.

LHBA Member
    They won't ban wood stoves. They will keep tightening the regs until the only stoves that can be bought are out of the price range of the very people that need wood to keep their house warm.

Patrick

LHBA Member
    I didn't use to worry about Google Earth until they went to Hi res now you can see everything

Bing Maps can be even more intrusive, with it's "bird's eye" view in certain areas. For example, Skip's home:

Last edited by rreidnauer; 01-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    I use google and bing maps to scout hunting areas. I have seen elk with both, to give an idea of the resolution that you can get now. At one point, when we lived in North Carolina, I could see myself in the yard digging an un-permitted electrical line to our shed.

Patrick

Blog Entries
    The picture of my place on Google Earth is dated 2005. No worries.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!