Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peeling Logs

Peeling Logs

Does the bark (oak) come off easier immediately after felling or if the log is allowed to sit a while?

Within a couple days is best. That or let them alone for a couple years. Sap turns to epoxy once it dries.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Within a couple days is best. That or let them alone for a couple years. Sap turns to epoxy once it dries.
    Is that another reason to cut in the winter, less sap, easier debarking??
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Not really. Summer cut is easier, so long as you peel as soon as the tree hits the ground.

Anyone have any experience with the log peeler that hooks on the end of a chainsaw?

LHBA Member
    Yeah the log Wizard,it scars the log up and makes a really big mess,it throws the bark and sap back at you it was a big pain to use

Blog Entries

Peeling... Feeling

More than one way to skin a cat!

Winter cut, you have to wait until they thaw out and then have a limited time before they dry out. Summer cut with the sap flowing can be easy and I agree with Peter, you better peel them right away.

Some find this part to be the most difficult as to the many variables. Using a peeling spud on a call it a "wet" log is pretty easy. Scraping a "dry" log is really hard as is scraping a "wet" log. Not everyone gets "wet" logs and you have to do, what you have to do, to get it off, is the bottom line.

God willing, I'm looking forward to peeling our house logs this spring. I've been whittling and scraping on wood since I was a kid and I'll bet ya that most folks here have been too. I've drawn plenty of "pulp" wood with a draw knife and I whole heartedly believe the "peeling spud" is the way to go. The right tool for the right job. It's learning the tool and the correct use of it. Trying to scrape bark off a log also s _ _ ks.... imho

I've been practicing with the spud since I took the class. I now know how to deal with the variables, thanks to those in the LHBA family.

Welcome Aboard! Be as a "sponge" while in class. Believe it! It only gets Better!

Tom

I've seen some people use a pressure washer with a turbo nozzle to remove the bark and it seems like a good way to do it if you are the only person peeling the logs.

I can't recall from the class the response to my questions. Do they recommend winter cut and peel in the spring or spring cut. Pro of winter being less cracking" but harder to peel in the spring. Pro spring easier to peel but more pron to cracking and bugs. What is the most efficient method to get the tree dried with the fewest cracks?

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I have 63 logs in my home... mostly Doug Fir. All were treated just about the same.All were winter cut and pealed my May 10th of that years. Some logs have few cracks some have many many cracks. All logs that have stress have many cracks. Many of my wall logs have no major cracks...

It is my belief that some logs will crack regardless and all logs under stress will crack.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!