Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw Mill

Blog Entries
    Also realize that the throat size of some bandsaws can limit how long a log you can mill. If you cam get some of those perfectly straight Doug Firs with no taper it might be easy to mill 25' logs. In my case I get free logs that have a lot of taper and they would have to be bigger at the butt than my mill could handle if I were to get anything 25' long.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    you are right lhn, we can put a 30" log on the mill and the carriage will pass, but the throat will only take 24" cant when squared. Even with the small end jacked up to level the cut sometimes we have to take off a 6" slab then turn it up on it's side and take 6" or 8" slabs off to get it to fit in the throat. I hate to throw away good wood so I usually "waste" the time to put the fat slabs back on the mill and get what I can out of them. with 25' we would probably be down to a 12" -14" clean cant even with a 28" butt. This is one reason we are planning log rafters instead of 4x12s

Blog Entries
    I just found 20 ft angle iron 4" X 4" X 1/4" locally for $76 each.
    Thats a steel.
    so now I don't have to weld on anything for mine.

Once the deep freeze gives up, I'll be able to level and switch my HF mill over to the new track and be back in business.
    21inches is about the MAX cant I can cut.
    I have chainsawed some bigger logs with curves to get a 3 sided beast I can cut slabs on.
    everythign I've cut has been waste wood or windfalls, so i don't care AS MUCH about the waste, but I hvae recut a few of the waste ends.

JD
    Last edited by jrdavis; 01-05-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999

I just bought a woodmizer 28. Haven't taken delivery yet so I can't provide anything useful. Sorry.

Wow, that's gonna be nice! The only holdback being, you really can't fabricate bed extensions. Wonder what they charge for the 24' extension?
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

$4,795...ouch. Too rich for my blood.

Blog Entries
    That 28 will be a dream. That's what I'd like to have. Let us know once you get it up and operating. Pictures, a lot of pictures.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    I was able to slab 20' logs for my rafters on my Woodmizer 15 with an 11' bed. I use my tractor loader to lift & set logs, so it takes patience and lots of shimming to extend your cuts in a plane, but my labor is cheaper than buying bed extensions. BTW, I love the look of log rafters and exposed floor joists rather than milled beams inside the cabin. I have a wee cabin (12.5x16')

Lynn
    Last edited by lynncherl; 01-12-2014 at 04:44 PM.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Lynn,
    You forgot the pictures of you wee cabin.

Yes, pictures of the cabin and said rafters please!