Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw Mill

Ive seen log rafters but not joists in an LHBA house.

Still waiting on pics!! :-)

I am getting close to getting a bandsaw mill. I have looked into chainsaw mills and from what I have heard (LHN) bandsaw mills would be perfect for me. I plan on doing more than just a log here and there. I want to make a sufficient amount of lumber. At the same time.....I am not as rich as some on this forum, so I will opt for the "Less than $4000 model". I think that leaves me with two good choices.
    A) Harbor Freight
    B)Woodland Mills

I had a good "conversation" (IM) with LHN about the HF mill he has and the modifications he has made to it to turn it into a sawing beast.
    I would like to know if anyone has purchased or used first hand a Woodland Mills?

Also, I REALLY like the idea of putting in log rafters vs 4X12's. I haven't found a 4X12 for less than $150 (local lumber yard price). The money I save on even the most expensive logs for log rafters will pay for a low end sawmill.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Blog Entries
    If you buy a quality bandsaw mill used at a reasonable price, the chances are, you could cut all of the lumber you need to build and the sell the mill off to someone else when you're finished for about what you paid for it. They are amazing and a lot of fun, even if it's work.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gepper View Post
    I just bought a woodmizer 28. Haven't taken delivery yet so I can't provide anything useful. Sorry.
    Great choice. Nice mill.
    edkemper

Feel the Bern!

After a couple decades of much planning, studying, and dreaming, I am also looking at ways to make the best use of my
    trees. Between an aging body, limited funds and time, I've gone from looking for deals and info on chainsaw mills to looking at options with bandsaw mills. For the money Woodland Mills looks good, certainly a step up from the HF mill, but for a little more money I'm leaning to a Wa. built mill that is on a trailer frame-all welds. Sequoia Mills are just out of Spokane. I'm planning on starting my build this Spring. Good luck out there.

Blog Entries
    YogaMike,

Fill in your personal info to let us know where you are. Makes it easier for us.

Nothing like a bandsaw to bring in some fun to a work project.
    edkemper

Feel the Bern!

Well Ed, I figured you're right, it's high time I do finish my bio stuff but it won't allow me to input. One of these days I'll most likely figure it out. For now though, I'm in the Bothell area east of Seattle. I have a little more than 5 acres full of doug fir, cedar, spruce and hemlock, with about 600' of nice mountain creek frontage. This is at the base of Mt. Rainier just outside the paradise entrance. Like LHN, I first took the class from Skip in the 80's (86'), and then to resurrect the dream, took it again from Ellsworth and Steve in 09'. Actually my property is just a couple of miles from 2 Cents (Angela and Dave). A quick shout out to you and all the many forum regulars who are so giving of time, advice, and experience. Thank you all.
    Last edited by YogaMike; 03-10-2016 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Correct a date.

Can't go wrong with a wood-mizer, been running an lt40 for 25 yrs, thousands of board feet with very little problems. Lots of mill options depending on budget and they hold their value well. Also have some nice options-have the lap siding attachment for cutting beveled siding works great. Also recently picked up a used 12' extension and can now cut up to 28' lengths. You also can't beat the service and support from wood mizer.

I purchased a wood-mizer LT35Hy. absolutley satisfied. the woodmizers also hold their resale value better than any other sawmills Ive seen.

Blog Entries
    I have an LT40, no hydraulics. Can't tell you how much fun is in your future. Nothing like the smell of mill lumber. BTW, they hold their value very well and the support from WoodMizer is top notch.

But as you'll likely hear a lot here, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen.
    edkemper

Feel the Bern!