Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chickens

I am sure that someone is. Try ebay, Backyard Chickens and Greenfire Farms.

Blondie

Hey Guy's

The breeders on Backyard chickens report that they are winter layers, have a high fertility rate and hatch well after mailing.

Blondie

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Now if we can just get them to poop in a litter box, life will be good.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

I am Still laughing!!!!!!!

Blondie

One of the new Bresse growers from Backyard chickens just emailed that he processed his first 26 wk rooster today at 4.2 pounds dressed out.

Not bed!

Blondie

Blog Entries
    blondie --

I don't know about that breed, so it may be a "good weight", but
    Out here in the midwest, White rocks and cornish X rocks dressing out at 8 weeks between 8-10lbs.
    There is a lot of extra feed going into a bird for 26 weeks.

McMurray hatcheries has a great reputation here in Iowa.

Just MHO. YMMV.
    JD
    Last edited by jrdavis; 02-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.

You are right!

Blondie

As far as chicken tractors, my friend made his out of pvc pipe and put wheels on the back so he could easily move the tractor by himself.

Quote by Bresse breeder, "plumcreek" on Backyard Chickens:

The Bresse suprised us. We got them as a gimmick to try the "kobe of chicken" and found an amazing dynamic breed great for the city. They are EXCELLENT layers. We were not expecting the 5-7 eggs per week we get from each bird. They also have the lowest feed to meat ratio of any of the breeds we tried. Their feeders stay full twice a long as any breed we have owned and yet the males are VERY substantial and hefty. They are not autosexing but it is easy to tell by the comb size within the first few weeks.

The bresse will dress out at 3-5 pounds by 16 weeks (females 3-4lbs, males 4-5lbs) and do start learning to crow at about 14 weeks. By 18 weeks the males can be up to 6+ pounds. Their weight will really depend on how they are raised. If they are free ranged and fed slowly they will take longer than if you confine them and feed them as meat birds. They do take longer than factory meat birds but they also take less feed to get there, especially if allowed to range.

Blondie
    Last edited by Blondie; 03-10-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: dumb Blonde

I have chickens on my farm (Buff Orphingtons), and in my opinion the finishing process is key for a good tasting chicken. Finishing on grain and dairy for a few weeks really does wonders for the meat. I feed mine a corn/oat mixture with raw milk from my Jersey cow before harvest. They always turn out awesome!